Write for us!
We have compiled a list of topics to inspire you to contribute to our blog, The Seed.
Our blog is for discussing, debating, understanding and promoting social responsibility and sustainability issues of local and global significance to the University community.
We welcome blog posts from students, staff, alumni, and anyone with a link to the University of Edinburgh.
Potential blogpost topics
- A year since Scotland announced a climate emergency: what next?
- What is climate migration?
- Why we need a just recovery from Covid-19
- What is a green new deal and why do we need one?
- What is the difference between Fairtrade and direct trade?
- Why we need to protect access to green space
- Why we need to switch to a sharing economy
- How to extend the life of your clothes
- The flaws in the fashion transparency index
- What Covid-19 has proven about the world’s supply chains
- SDGs in practice: what they mean for education at Edinburgh
- The future of business travel
- Zoonotic diseases and climate change
- A beginners guide to foraging
- Impact of Covid-19 on the global south
- Local issues
Do you have an idea you think is missing? Let us know.
Voices for the Planet
This is a series looking at stories of first-hand experiences of the impacts of the climate crisis from around the world from staff, students and alumni.
How to submit a blogpost
- Contact us so we know what you’re planning to write (SRS.Department@ed.ac.uk)
- Submit a draft as a word document of around 500 – 1000 words (this can vary depending on the topic)
- Think about the kind of images you’d like to include, and send high-quality versions along with your draft, along with any captions
Our preference for the cover photo is a landscape image of you in a natural place, or of you doing something related to the topic you’re writing on. If there’s anyone else in the photo, please get their permission for us to use it. You can also use free-to-use stock images.
Your blog post should be written in the first person. When referring to ideas, other people’s work or online resources make sure to add web links.
Note we may edit the content of your blog post before publishing.