#CelebratingTogether: Sharon Boyd

#CelebratingTogether: Sharon Boyd

Edinburgh University Students’ Association’s Student-Led Teaching Awards are back to recognise outstanding members of learning and support staff. After a challenging year for everyone, we’re celebrating our worthy nominees by shouting about their successes across our digital platforms. 

Sharon Boyd
Sharon Boyd

What is your full name? 

Sharon Boyd 

What is your job title? 

Senior Lecturer 

What school or service do you work in? 

R(D)SVS, Postgraduate Taught Studies 

Please tell us a little bit about yourself and your role. 

I joined the R(D)SVS in November 2007 as e-programme coordinator of the R(D)SVS online postgraduate and continuing professional development (CPD) courses.

In 2013, I took on the role of Director of the Certificate in Advanced Veterinary Practice, and course leader for the Academic Study Skills course for postgraduate taught students. In addition, I am Deputy Director for the MVetSci in Advanced Clinical Practice, and course leader for Professional & Clinical Skills postgraduate course. I am co-lead on the postgraduate online peer tutor project and have a focus for enhancing online distance learning student support.

I completed my honours undergraduate degree in zoology at Trinity College Dublin, and have a Masters in Applied Environmental Science from University College Dublin. I completed my PgCert in University Teaching and MSc in eLearning at Edinburgh. I am a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and a Certified Member of the Association for Learning Technology. 

My research areas of interest are sustainable and digital education. These fields are the focus of my PhD studies at Moray House School of Education. 

What does it mean to you to have been nominated for a Teaching Award this year? 

Being nominated for a Teaching Award is always awesome, but this year is extra special as I know the stresses and pressures that have faced the students I work with. I am grateful that they took time to nominate me while we have all been coping with the pandemic. Their kind comments have brought joy to my year 🙂 

What’s your favourite part of your role and working with students? 

Meeting students from all around the world with so many different experiences, and stories to share and tell. I learn so much and am inspired by their examples. 

How have you adapted your approach to teaching and supporting students under the Hybrid Model this year? 

My role is with online postgraduate programmes, so I have not had to adapt my approach to teaching so much. I have helped colleagues who work with on-campus programmes to share the load of the move to hybrid teaching. 

What’s been the biggest challenge in your role this year? 

The pandemic for sure. One of my other “hats” is as convenor of postgraduate special circumstances at my School, and the biggest challenge has been supporting students and staff through these incredibly difficult times. 

What would you say to the student(s) who nominated you, or students who are considering submitting a nomination for a staff member who has had an impact on them? 

Thank you so much for nominating me. You can’t appreciate how important this is, and how much joy and excitement comes from seeing the nomination email appear in my inbox. A nomination in any category is a win 🙂 

To find out more about the Teaching Awards and browse nomination categories, please visit the Students’ Association’s website.