#CelebratingTogether: Dr Alison Mayne

#CelebratingTogether: Dr Alison Mayne

Edinburgh University Students’ Association’s Student-Led Teaching Awards are back to recognise outstanding members of learning and support staff. After a challenging year for everyone, we’re celebrating our worthy nominees by shouting about their successes across our digital platforms. 

Alison Mayne
Dr Alison Mayne

What is your full name?  

Alison Mayne 

What is your job title? 

Tutor 

What school or service do you work in? 

Edinburgh College of Art 

Please tell us a little bit about yourself and your role. 

I have been an hourly paid tutor for ECA since 2017, teaching some seminar groups for Y2 students, providing some guest lectures but mostly focusing on Dissertation supervision for final year BAHons and MFA students.  I have taught and provided research assistance here at Edinburgh and for Sheffield Hallam University (where I competed my PhD in 2018).  My specialisms are handcraft, wellbeing and historic textiles and I also draw on my previous 20+ years of experience as a high school Head of English to help students achieve their goals. 

What does it mean to you to have been nominated for a Teaching Award this year? 

It is very rewarding – especially as a precarious employee on a Guaranteed Hours contract – to have the recognition of students for my commitment to their success.  Dissertation tuition is my absolute favourite thing to do, as working 1-1 on student devised projects is fascinating – so to have a nomination as Supervisor of the Year is very special indeed. 

What’s your favourite part of your role and working with students? 

Getting to know the students and encouraging them to be confident critical thinkers as they embark on their university careers. 

How have you adapted your approach to teaching and supporting students under the Hybrid Model this year? 

I try to encourage conversation and discussion no matter if online or in person. My aim is for the group to be comfortable they can ask anything related to the subject and there is no such thing as a silly question or observation. 

What’s been the biggest challenge in your role this year? 

Like most of us it has been WiFi and how to ensure that WiFi issues do not impact too much on the student experience. 

What would you say to the student(s) who nominated you, or students who are considering submitting a nomination for a staff member who has had an impact on them? 

Wow I am so chuffed you enjoyed your sessions with me! Thank you so much for taking the time to nominate me. I feel like I have won already.   

To find out more about the Teaching Awards and browse nomination categories, please visit the Students’ Association’s website.