The physics of food!

Fletcher Adams completed a Career Development Summer Scholarship project within the School’s Soft Matter Physics group, who conduct some work on the physics of food!

For my project we worked with Ochil Fudge looking into the possibilities of them making a vegan fudge. It was a small project so only required my supervisor Andreia Fonseca da Silva and me to work on it. The main focus of the project was on the physical attributes of the fudge, and to test these we used the universal basic testing machine in the rheology lab. I had fun experimenting with many different recipes whilst also trying to recreate theirs as best I could with their recipe. This improved my lab skills as well as feeling creative, coming up with different solutions to the recipes which didn’t go so well.

I decided to apply for a summer project as I was interested in gaining science work experience. The time period of the project also provided flexibility, so I could still spend time on holiday with my family as well as having few weeks off at the end of summer.

I would highly recommend the summer project to any prospecting students. You get reasonably paid for your work and it is a fun and insightful experience into the world of research.

Further information

Learn more about the School of Physics and Astronomy’s Career Development Summer Scholarship Programme: SoPA Summer Programme