Combination samples!

When I first heard combination my brain screamed print!! As I had been working on a print collection I thought this would be the perfect time to start incorporating my prints into my work!

Looking back at my previous samples I started creating a list of things i found successful:

• Machine embroidery- I really enjoyed the way the ruffles just made the piece flow. This also was enhanced by the irregular shape of the samples- could I look at cutting and ruffling my prints the same way?
  • Knotting samples- I really loved the chaotic and fun energy of the knotting samples so I wanted to capture the mood in my combination. I also loved working on a much larger scale this paired with all the contrasting materials is a really fun tactile piece.
  • Knitting samples- I found that sewing my own yarns was very effective in capturing every one of the material qualities and sewing these together captured that.
  • Weave samples- I loved the exaggerated knots in the weave samples but i also really enjoyed the way each layer interacted with the other, it looks messy and chaotic but the contrast of materials is really playful and fun.

I started taking my print samples and ruffling these up using the machine. The prints soon became really irregular and abstracted but visually very interesting. I then took my tulle and started layering the print over as the contrasting materials was something i wanted to re-explore. I continued this process until i had lengths of my own yarn that were really interesting and eclectic.

Regarding data I used layers in relation to the yes votes so we have 5 layers in the first, 7 in the second and 4 in the last.

I started looking at how i could add these into samples- with knotting in mind i wondered if i could knot this around my large sample as the print could really make the large sample come to life.

I really love how this turned out, by adding in the print It really makes the viewer take a closer look at how the fabrics blend but also contrast with emotional marks.

For my second sample I looked at the same idea however wanted to incorporate the manipulated ruffled bag.

This sample becomes a world of symptoms. The layers show how how anxiety symptoms and corona symptoms become one, as an anxiety sufferer would have trouble distinguishing if it was corona. The emotional marks are almost my emotional response to corona which is manipulated as if the media is telling me how I should feel. All together it’s an exciting world of eclectic symptoms.

For my last sample I actually became inspired by my prints, I used the tape measures and sewed them to look like the crayon marks within my prints. The plastic bag is representation for the ink marks and the array of materials is the symptoms from corona and anxiety, this is a physical representation of my emotional response to covid 19 through my eyes as an anxiety sufferer.

Previous

Knotting sample exploration!

Next

Biomimicry- deconstructing the plant cell!

1 Comment

1. lrichar3

Your descriptions of the samples here is really great. I particulalry love the phrase…..’This sample becomes a world of symptoms.’
    The balance of techniques shows a very good understanding of the potential of both your technical expertise and the materials you are workign with. Tied in so convincingly with your theme…WELL DONE.
    Your descripton of our journey of analysis and reflection is extermely well communicated here, well done. You have struck and good balance between the text and the photos. Do not be afriad to drop in different sized images into your posts. Consider which images are the most important/relevant and give them more space.
    Really great start to your blogging journey and looking forward to seeing how this grows in project 2.