World Suicide Prevention Day – The Politics of Hope

This blog was authored by the whole Suicide in/as Politics team: Amy Chandler, Ana Jordan, Hazel Marzetti, and Alex Oaten. Today it is World Suicide Prevention Day (10th September), which has been held since 2003. Each year has a theme, which has evolved from the 2003 ‘Suicide can be prevented!’ …

Analysing UK Suicide Prevention Policy: A Critical Policy Analysis 

This post is by Alex Oaten, the Lincoln based Research Associate on the Suicide in/as Politics project.  You can find out more about all the team on our People page! As part of our Leverhulme funded ‘Suicide in/as Politics’ project we have undertaken in-depth qualitative analysis of UK suicide prevention policies, which were produced between 2009-2019. Whilst suicide …

Representing LGBTQ+ youth suicide: The Wilds.

So I’m guessing 2020-21 brought all of us more TV watching than ever before, as we attempted to keep the boredom at bay during the various phases of lockdown. Now, I don’t want to ruin anyone else’s boxset binges, so I have to say that there will be SPOILERS, don’t …

The Qualities of Qualitative Suicide Research

As suicide research is dominated by quantitative studies (Hjelmeland and Knizek, 2010; Testoni, Vincenzo and Zamperini, 2021), whenever I come across a new qualitative paper in suicidology, it’s exciting! This is how I first felt when I came across “What Can We Learn From First-Person Narratives?” The Case of Nonfatal …

“The Two Okay Rule”: Conceptions of agency within suicide prevention 

This post is by Alex Oaten, the Lincoln based Research Associate on the Suicide in/as Politics project.   You can find out more about all the team on our People page! Roman Kemp’s recent BBC documentary exploring issues of mental health and suicide in young men has been widely praised and has led …

It’s good to talk? The power of talking about suicidal distress as a tool for suicide prevention.

Ask twice?  “Ask twice” was the key take-away message from Roman Kemp’s documentary Our Silent Emergency aired on Tuesday night. The programme followed Kemp’s attempt to make sense of the suicide of his friend Joe, and later on in the programme his own mental health problems, by talking to others bereaved by suicide. Throughout the programme silence was presented as …

Talking about suicide in 2020

Blog post written by Hazel Marzetti, Edinburgh-based Research Associate on the Suicide in/as Politics Project.  The New Year is a time for reflection. As my work focuses on developing understandings of suicidal distress, in thinking back over 2020, I reflected on the increase in public conversations about mental health, and in particular on two specific conversations about suicide that I noticed during the past …

“Waiting for Myself”: Race and the Time of Suicide 

Blog post written by Dr  Jana Cattien, Lincoln-based Research Associate on the Suicide in/as Politics Project.  In Black Skin White Masks, at the end of a chapter entitled ‘The Lived Experience of the Black’, Fanon describes the temporal dissonance of racialization as a kind of uncanny waiting:   I can’t go to the movies without …