Monday – tutorials

During my tutorial we discussed expanding the building to the lecture theatre above as well, as if not this separates the rest of the teaching space in the 40 George Square tower. This space is a great scale for the teaching kitchen / cook school element, especially giving it is built to be on a slope as a lecture theatre so will allow for ease of viewing demonstrations.

I also got to look at some very interesting precedents, one being a section of the London Underground turned into a farm. They used hydroponics and special lighting to grow the plants underground and I think this relates a lot to my project as most of my space is under ground, with not as much natural light as would be expected when growing food. The lighting used for growing can offer a calming aesthetic element to the space alongside function.

Thursday – building services and strategy

40 George Square is supplied with district heating, which is a central boiler system (an indirect system)

We learnt the types of;

Heating: direct, indirect, wet indirect, underfloor (gas or electric mat), indirect warm air

Mechanical ventilation: extract ventilation, supply ventilation, balanced ventilation, humidity control

Air conditioning principles: vapour compression cycle, absorption chilling

Air conditioning systems: local cooling, swamp coolers, centralised air conditioning

integrated systems: natural ventilation (opening windows by hand), mechanical ventilation (automatic adjustment to outside), solar shading, ground source heat pump (6m below surface), combined heat and power (takes used hot air and bring it back in and cools it – George Square)

Sanitation / water: supply, waste water collection, grey water, above ground waste, drainage systems, (pipes always at an angle, understand access to cistern)

This week I started my sketch model of the existing building. I used card to construct the lecture theatre building and removed the roof to allow access for inserts at a later date. I found adding scaled people helped me understand the scale of the space and created perspective.