finished samples/mixing techniques

For my final samples I incorporated different elements from the techniques I have been playing with over the past couple of weeks.

Sample 1

I really liked the affect of the woven sample I did so I decided to take this further for my first finished piece. Again I used copper wire as my warp thread, but this time the weft thread I used was a wool that my mum naturally dyed when she was my age 20 years ago. I felt that this tied in well with the reuse aspect that I try to follow in my projects. Using a back-stitch after I had finished to weaving, using various old threads, some cotton and polyester in blues to create loops of varying sizes relating to the different shapes and sizes of the sound waves from my research. I then shaped the main part of the weaving into waves. I personally like this sample the best, I think it relates well to my research and is visually interesting to look at. If I was to further this project I would have loved to make a really long one, which showed the sound waves of a whole song, (this only shows a very short snippet), However I really like the width, I think it would be very interesting to have such a long piece that it went all the way around a room!

Sample 2

I have always loved knitting ever since I was a child. I have a photo of my mum teaching me how to knit when I was five! so I thought it only fair to include a knitted piece as one of my finals. I used a garter stitch, because I think it looks a lot like small waves running parallel to one another,  to creating a large rectangle roughly A4 sized. I then picked up a row of stitches running across the middle from the bottom to the top and started knitting upwards in the same orange colour I used for the woven sample. After doing that I felt that it was lacking a pop of colour so I cast off using a cotton blue thread to make it stand out and also tie it in with the other sample. I then threaded some wire through the orange knitting so that it could be shaped to form my graphs.

I really like the fact that through bending the wire it has pulled in the rest of the knitting around it, almost creating a gather on both sides.  However, I am not very happy with the colour palette on this sample, I think it would have been better if the main part of the knitting was coloured as well, the white/cream isn’t very interesting to look at.

Sample 3

For my last sample I combined crochet with the detached buttonhole stitch. I crocheted with blue wool and wire to create a malleable base, and then did lines of DB stitch going across diagonally. I then folded the crochet in lines going the opposite way to create hills and valleys cutting across the yellow lines.

I think that this was the least successful sample I’ve made, I don’t really like the colour of the blue, and personally I’m not a big fan of crochet in general. However, I do like the way the yellow lines cut across over the dips and humps of the crochet.

unfortunately, the photos of this sample didn’t come out very well because I had to take them in the dark rather than in the daylight.

Overall I have really enjoyed this project, especially the theme. I have learnt how to do macrame, and feel that I have furthered my knowledge of many other textiles techniques. For the next project I will work on my time management so that I’m not so stressed completing everything. I think it will be best to set aside a whole day just for textiles each week, because I was just doing bits and bobs here and there, and it was getting confusing going between textiles and Performance costume.

I just wanted to say thank you very much Lindy, for all the hard work and effort that you put into teaching us online, I think that you went above and beyond with your amazing little videos on how to do techniques. Thank you so much, and I’m very sad we don’t have you for project 2!

All images taken by Yarrow Frost, of her own work.

« »