project 3: week 1

For this project we are looking back at our samples from the previous two projects. And then taking elements from them, which can be explored further and integrated with trend predictions which will influence our colour palettes and styles.

I had some spare time whilst I was on a train so I started by looking at the images that I have of my samples and chose which ones I liked best purely on aesthetic. I realised from looking at all of them together that my favourite ones are samples that really experiment with three dimensional form and texture. This was a great realisation for me because I have really struggled with some of the samples I have made during this semester, not so much technically, but that I just don’t like them.

I also noticed that all of my chosen samples have different textural elements- soft floppy organza, firm twisted paper, hard smooth plastic and metal, soft wools with sharp hard wires. I think the juxtaposition of the hard and soft is something that is showing through in my work that could be taken forward in my project

• juxtaposing hard and soft
  •  3 dimensional form
  • using one material to manipulate another material
  • encompassing materials within other materials

The first sample that I looked at is this shirred piece of organza. I think what really draws me to it is its very organic shape, it makes me think of  a wood louse, or some sort of sea creature. I especially like it against a black background, Which makes it look like an x-ray. the way that it becomes more opaque, when it is layer up is really intriguing and something that i want to experiment with further.

although maybe not one of my more finished samples, this is a great example of an up-cycled material, I used paper from a parcel to ply into a cord and then knot around it to create a circular sample. I could see this being used in a home decor as table matts or coasters. I think that it could also be interesting to see how i can incorporate this cord into other techniques, maybe weaving or stitching.

In this sample I was experimenting with form. I particularly like the way you can manipulate the weaving by using wire for the warp threads, I have involved wire in many of my samples this year, to manipulate the fabrics into sculptable forms that can change their shape. This is a technique that I have been exploring with for the past year, at the beginning of the year I created a woven coat using wire for the warp threads. It was shown at a textiles exhibition in Glasgow and has been a source of inspiration for my work this year.

woven coat made and photographed by yarrow frost 2020
copper foil encompassed in peva plastic

These samples are from my most recent textiles project. I feel that I didn’t explore these techniques enough, and think that there is potential for further development. Again they have a similar basis to the previous samples, in that i am using wire to manipulate the material, but this time it is visible which I really like. I really like the look of copper, its such a beautiful colour.

EXPLORATION OF SAMPLES

After choosing my favourite samples, I started looking at them through a view finder to distinguish areas that stand out and that I like. this was an interesting way to look at them, I have used view finders before but not on my own samples, usually I use them to find inspiration from objects around me. It means that yous see elements of your designs that you maybe hadn’t noticed before, that were maybe even a happy accident.

I like the way the wires are all bending together but in a slightly chaotic way in this area of the sample

here I noticed that the light shinning through the plastic creates very interesting shadows/reflections, perhaps I could work towards an interior design, maybe lampshades for my final samples. which could incorporate all these shapes and forms, but also project patterns into the room.

a close up of the shadows.

I just think that the undulating waves created in the surface  of the plastic are beautiful. how could I apply this to a finished textile piece?

Manipulating the foil in a different way, more symmetrical pleats rather then random. I could see this in some sort of kitchenware.

I think the shadows that are cast from the end wires in my woven piece  are really interesting, I like how abstract they are.

MY SKETCHES AND NOTES

incorporating the different samples together, weaving with wire and the organza shirring layered on top of on another.

I also like how the organza is exploding out of the buttonhole stitch in the sample. perhaps I could play with inserting different textiles into the woven surface.

weaving with the plied recycled paper.

I looked at sustainability, textiles, and colour trends fro 2021 on the WGSN website and some of the key points for me were that we should be focusing on quality rather than quantity. to be making quality garments that will last along time is something that I have always been interested in ethically anyway so it was really interesting that WGSN is saying that that is something that is becoming a trendy thing among fashion, although I have always wished it was, I had very low expectations as the turn over of fast fashion in high street shops at the moment is insane!

Focus on using recycled and up-cycled materials

and that the colour palette for next year will be orangey, reds, pinks, browns, but also a sort of clinical blue which subconsciously we associate with cleanliness will be in, as a reaction to the pandemic, in which everyone is quite rightly very concerned with cleanliness.

Here I’ve done some colour swatches of possible colour palettes based on the information that i found on WGSN. I think that I am drawn more to the yellowy, brown colours.

To conclude

I want to further my samples and ideas around the basis of 3 dimensional form and the juxtaposition of hard and soft materials and perhaps play with creating shadows and projections from my designs. I think that my designs could be realised into home decor pieces, or kitchenware items. and I think that my project would be best suited to either the weaving category or the mixed media one.

« »