macrame and thread manipulation

Macrame, plying and knotting

After researching about sustainable fashion, I decided to start my samples by using some recycled cardboard packaging that some pattern paper came in. The cardboard was quite soft, so kind of malleable, I cut long strips and plied it together, by twisting it. at the beginning I thought it looked very messy, but the more i worked it, the more I liked the look of it!

after doing that I had a go at doing the spiral rug technique, using long strips of scrap fabric to tie round the cardboard core, in a spiral. I am very pleased with this affect, you can still see the cardboard showing through on the spiral, which i actually quite like, it shows that the core is actually a recycled material and once had a different purpose.

In one of my playing samples I plied wire and wool together, which creates a really nice structure that is malleable. I played with creating different shapes, all the while referring back to my imagery of sound waves.

I wasn’t so sure about macrame as a technique, it is very time consuming and I struggled to relate it to my research, I did try to the lines in a graph kind of way, but I found it hard to control exactly where they were.

All images taken by Yarrow Frost

« »