1:1 session with Rachel

During the tutorial we discussed struggles neurodivergent people may face when eating. Taking a step back got look at the wider picture of eating and the challenges people may face, including prep, organisation, timing and overwhelm. This can mean people don’t have access to healthy meals and so end up with junk food, takeaways or snacking. People may also struggle to cook in busy shared student kitchens, may be full of other peoples mess and loud.

This led to thoughts about the use of my building, seeing this as an opportunity to create a space for neurodivergent people to come together and cook in a safe environment where assistance is available. The space could become a public kitchen with resources available including ingredients, equipments, simple recipes and chefs there to help. The aim of this use is to allow neurodivergent people to cook exciting, healthy meals in a space designed to reduce overwhelm and anxiety when cooking.

Is there potential to include a restaurant section within the cooking space? To avoid the need for cooking and to get a cheap, healthy meal – could they provide a simple recipe with the meal so users can learn to make it at home too?

I have also decided to change my building. My new building is 40 George Square, a university building currently used as a teaching and social space. It is a category A listed building, being a “one of the key monuments of Scottish Modernism”, the architecture is of a “very high standard of design and execution” and the materials to be of “exceptional quality”.

At this stage I am looking to develop the ground and lower ground floors as the sunken courtyard serves as a good source of natural light and biophilia. I have acquired plans and sections from the Edinburgh planning portal from their recent renovations.