Building Your Employability

There’s been a clear push from funders to influence research culture. Some of the most obvious developments have come from UKRI (through the focus on people and team development in their Future Leaders Fellowship), from Wellcome (with their survey and townhall meetings on research culture) and the Royal Society with their Changing Expectations campaign. A recent addition to the Royal Society’s toolkit for shaping culture is the Resume for Researchers. I’ve run sessions for many years trying to encourage research staff to think about their wider contributions to their groups, institutions and wider communities. This is usually in the context of career change, but over the last ten years, these conversations have been woven into fellowship and grant writing events.

This session was in development as part of our Career Management and Support strand, but seeing the resume gave me a simple structure to work with. You can download the Resume For Researchers document and start the think about what you will include in your personal narrative with help from the guidance on the Royal Society site and the recording of the short session on Broadening Your Employability.

Session Recording (will open in Media Hopper)

Building Your Employability Slides

Resume for Researchers guidance

Many thanks to those researchers who have volunteered their CVs for me to play with in the upcoming session on Adapting Your CV for Non Academic Jobs – I’m afraid I can’t use any more, but the advice I would use in a 1:1 feedback session is the basis of the workshop.