Tips from a 4th year for all our new students

Kate, our summer intern who is starting her fourth year now, sends good wishes to all our new students.

Hello new students! As I finish up my summer internship with the Careers Service and head into my fourth year and final year, I’m thinking about what it was like when I started Uni and what I would have wanted to know.

Firstly, get involved. I’m sure I’m not the first, and won’t be the last, to tell you that University is a great time to try out new activities and take every opportunity that comes your way. Joining a sport or society is not only an excellent way to meet people, but potentially a valuable experience to talk about in future job interviews.

Similarly, it’s not too early to get work experience. I’m glad I got a part-time job in first year when I had more time, and could develop my time management skills by balancing work and Uni obligations. The link below has resources put together by the Careers Service to help you find opportunities in part-time work, internships and volunteering. It may be intimidating to take on additional commitments as you start university, but you’ll be glad to have gained experience before you get very busy with academics.

Additionally, start to think ahead. While you’re likely not thinking about graduate jobs as much as I am, there is still lots you can do early in your university career. Become familiar with the resources available on the Careers Service website, with everything from CV advice and interview prep, to career planning and information on a large range of job sectors.

If you ever need more personalised information you can always feel free to drop in to the Careers Service Helpdesk, or make an appointment with one of the Careers Consultants.

Finally, embrace every second you have at University! Get ready to work hard, play hard, and meet the people that will become your best friends. The time really will go faster than you ever thought possible, so appreciate the abundance of good times and know that the hard times will pass. Welcome to the University of Edinburgh!

One comment