Insights Online helps students explore career options and gain professional skills and confidence

We have invited selected students to take part in Insights Online this November!

Received an email from the University’s Insights Team on Friday, 10th September inviting you to take part in the University’s Insights Programme running online Monday 1st – Friday 26th November 2021? This is your opportunity to explore a range of careers and discover what’s out there. You’ll also gain some experience of the world of work, as well as develop your confidence, professional skills and connections. You’ll be part of an online team who are introduced to University graduates [alumni] working in an exciting range of jobs both in Scotland and international cities around the world. 

To find out more about what the Insights Programme is like, let’s hear from Abd Al-Rahman and Fiona who took part in June this year.

Abd Al-Rahman, third year Electrical and Mechanical Engineering

Why did you sign up for the Insights Programme?

To get a better understanding of where I want to go in life after graduation – to help me make decisions between some career paths.

What did you think of your Insights experience?

Amazing! Structure was great and the sheer variety of tasks and sessions was second to none, better than any other ‘development’ event I have attended!

How have you benefited from this experience and what did you learn?

I’ve learnt that ultimately after gaining some experience, even if I make a choice that isn’t super helpful immediately I have time to rectify it. And, that to challenge myself and take more (calculated albeit) risks that may lead to exciting career paths.

Abd, June 2021 Insights participant

Did you have any preconceptions about University graduates (alumni) before taking part in Insights? What did you learn from connecting with alumni?

No preconceptions as such. I learnt that the experience they have and their lives provide a tangible image of what the future could look like – also that career progression isn’t linear! It can move about and change in so many different ways.

How has this experience influenced you/your choices in the future?

I think it’s definitely made me consider more of an international career which is cool!

What will you do next?

I’m doing an internship at the moment but always on the lookout to get more experience in as many areas as possible!

Would you recommend other students take part, and why?

Yes! You lose absolutely nothing by attending Insights! Even if you feel like you only learned a few things and got a few connections (very unlikely this will be the only thing you gain) then that’s still information and contacts you didn’t previously have! The experiences of alumni and support from staff really help you develop and think critically about yourself and your goals.

Fiona, third year Religious Studies and English Literature

I knew very little about the world of work/careers and I wanted to learn more. I found the future quite a scary topic.

The thing I picked up the most, is the importance of networking. I will take this forward to help out with my future career.

Fiona, June 2021 Insights participant

I would have assumed they would have all had lots of family connections to do so well, but interestingly, all the alumni I spoke with were very self-sufficient and worked really hard to get to their positions now. They presented a lot of experiences which I think were amazing and very inspiring.

I feel more motivated and reassured about my future.

Definitely – I learnt a lot and now feel in better stead to begin my career (outside of university), when I graduate.

What advice would you give to future participants?

Be friendly, open-minded and enjoy yourself.

Thanks Abd and Fiona

If you’d like to take part in the Insights Programme running online Monday 1st – Friday 26th November 2021, sign up by Sunday 26th September. You can find how to do so in your email invitation sent from the University’s Insights Team on 10th September.

If you have taken part in an Insights Programme online previously, you are welcome to participate again, however please note that November Insights will be the same content as previous Insights experiences.

Please also visit our website for more information or email the Insights team (insights.programme@ed.ac.uk) with any questions or concerns about taking part.