LGBT+ History Month February Events
We have 3 fantastic Staff Pride Network events lined up for LGBT+ History Month 2020 in February. Please share with your colleagues/friends and retweet/share via social media:
School LGBTQ+ Diversity Since Section 28/Clause 2a
‘Coming In’: Share a piece of your LGBT+ History
[POSTPONED DUE TO UCU STRIKES] We Are Human: Personal Stories of LGBTQ+ Identities and Intersection
Lavender Menace LGBT+ Book Archive
- School LGBTQ+ Diversity Since Section 28/Clause 2a (Thursday, 6 February at 6-8pm in Room G.159 MacLaren Stuart Room, Old College)
What has changed in 20 years since the repeal of Section 28/Clause 2a in Scotland? This joint event from University students and staff, with LGBT Youth Scotland, is being held to provide understanding of current equality law pertaining to schools, to discuss the experiences and challenges that our students and staff had in school before and after Section 28/Clause 2a’s repeal, in particular young trans students’ experiences, for the audience to learn about the similarities and differences of their times.
This public event is an opportunity for us all to show support for our trans staff and students and the trans community.
- ‘Coming In’: Share a piece of your LGBT+ History (Thursday, 13 February at 5:30-7:30pm in Room 2.03, 50 George Square)
If you moved to the University of Edinburgh for study or work, this is for YOU. Staff Pride Network & PrideSoc student network have partnered with OurStory Scotland to record our stories and experiences, good or bad, of coming to Edinburgh. How did you imagine it would be, and how does the reality compare with your expectations? How different is it if you are coming from overseas or from the Highlands?
[POSTPONED DUE TO UCU STRIKES]
- We Are Human: Personal Stories of LGBTQ+ Identities and Intersection (
Friday, 21 February at 8:50am-1:30pm/12:45-5:30pm in the Informatics Forum)
We are pleased to announce the inaugural ‘We Are Human” conference organised by the Staff Pride Network and PrideSoc with funding from the Principal’s office, Finance department and the colleges of CSE, CMVM/BVM & CAHSS about raising awareness and discussing issues and challenges faced by LGBTQ+ staff and students. Morning/afternoon sessions can be booked separately in case anyone can only make one session. Allies especially welcome. Lunch, tea & coffee included.
Scottish Minister for Older People & Equality Christina McKelvie MSP will officially close the event alongside the Principal, Professor Peter Mathieson.
- Lavender Menace LGBT+ Book Archive (Thursday, 27 February at 5:30-7:30pm in Room G.06, 50 George Square)
Many of the original LGBT+ and feminist presses have closed and well-known books have been forgotten. Join us to hear from Lavender Menace Returns on how and why they are creating an LGBT+ archive and database to ensure that our stories are not lost. They also want to include LGBT+ writing of today to form one body of work telling the story of our community – and our demand for equality and honesty. Open to all; invite your friends.
There are also the monthly evening social and coffee and cake dates to look forward to in February and beyond:
- Staff Pride Network’s Monthly Evening Social (Friday, 7 February at 6-10pm at Checkpoint)
- Staff Pride Network Central Coffee & Cake (Wednesday, 12 February at 1-2pm in Bayes Cafe)
- Staff Pride Network Kings Buildings Coffee & Cake (Wednesday, 19 February at 1:15-2pm in the Upstairs Café, 7th Floor)
- Staff Pride Network Western General Coffee & Cake (Wednesday, 26 February at 3-4pm in the Nucleus Café)
We hope to see you there!
HUGE thanks to our event partners and the Events Organising Team of Tracy, Dax, Cara, Siobhan and Jonathan, without whom none of these events would have happened.
Jonathan and Katie
Jonathan MacBride (he/him) and Katie Nicoll Baines (she/her)
Co-Chairs of Staff Pride Network, for LGBT+ Colleagues and Allies