Week 3 – Design review 1

As the Grand Budapest is set within 2 separate timeframes (1930s and 1960s), I was trying to think of ways in which I could implement this within my work. As the majority of the movie is set in the 1930s time period, I decided that majority of the hotel room would be influenced by that era and the rest of it, would be inspired by the 1960s. I have only just started my design, so it is still a work in progress, as can be seen below.

Now that I have had time to discuss my work with tutors and peers, I fear as though I may have taken the brief too literally. Going forward, I would like to try and integrate aspects from the film but in a more subtle non-thematic way. Instead, I was thinking I could combine both time periods strategically, rather than having some form of partition separating each era.

Initially, when I first started working on my design, I think I made the mistake of restricting my design to a conventional ‘box’. Due to the constricting shape of my current floor plan, I was left with a monotonous design which lacked creativity and intrigue. I think that I had started to worry about how my design would work in the real world and all the limitations and regulations that come with that, so I lost some of my creativity worrying about the functionality of it.

After having seen some of my peers work and the variety of approaches to the task, I now feel inspired and feel as though I can be more elaborate, creative and ambitious with my design and not be scared to break away from conventional standards. For these reasons, I have decided to rework my design and integrate the constructive feedback that I have received.

Although this can feel frustrating, it is all part of the process and I am quite an early stage in my design where making changes is not a hindrance. I now feel confident in the development of my current design and believe that I will be in a stronger, more resolved position in the weeks to come.