Week 11 – Pre-summative submission

This week, we were able to get 1 on 1 help with our projects and get in some last minute feedback prior to the summative submission, enabling me to narrow down my focus and add in a few missing details.

Firstly, I need to go back to adjust certain sections within my floor plan as I now have the resolved and intended design, it is more about tidying it up and making everything ‘fit’ as best as I can. For example, certain parts where 2 hotel rooms join have a weird space in between each other so I plan to do some minor ‘surgery’ to shape them so that they fit into the building. This involves rotating things, cutting things, knocking down walls etc. to suit the geometry of the building. I also plan on playing with the line weights in my floor plan to make things easier to communicate and more legible.

After some guidance, I also have a couple of modifications to make to my collage to take it a step further and make it an even stronger composition. For example, adding depth to the doors would help strengthen the drawing as I already have depth in other areas, so overall, it would make it more cohesive. Additionally, above the piano/main entrance room I have a ‘mirrored’ circular opening which would also be beneficial to show, as this would add another level of complexity to the drawing and change the composition, allowing for a more dynamic shape. Although I do quite like the intentional white space in between both views, I may even consider uniting them in some way to highlight the relationship between the 2 spaces in a subtle yet effective way.

I feel as though I have learnt a lot on this course and it has also been really enjoyable. I have also really enjoyed seeing my skills and ideas develop week on week and after making these changes, I feel confident in my current position pre-summative.