Week 6: Grading and Shading

image_pdfimage_print

One of our tasks this week was to experiment with polymorph and create 5 small shapes that align with our hand in some way and can be useful. From the photos above, I have made a mouse wrist support (which can also double as a chopstick rest), a thimble, brass (actually polymorph) knuckles, a table hook, and a sauce dish. It was quite challenging to come up with the shapes and make them useful, since I had to come up with the shapes before the polymorph hardens from cooling. The morphing process was really fun, as it alomost felt like I was casting iron.

My favorite shape out of the five would have to be the table hook. I always wanted a table hook for my headphones, so I thought making a table hook would come in handy. The hook could also be used to hook other things such as bags. Though it wasn’t easy to get the desired shape at first, the results were not too bad.

Our drawing task this week was sketching a sphere in a bowl. I have always loved doing shading in the past, so this was a refreshing exercise for me. Though I rarely ever draw spheres in sketching, this was not as hard as I first imagined. I was pretty satisfied with the results, but much like the previous task, I think it could have been further improved if I had darker shades of graphite to further accentuate the darker tones to give the drawing a bit more contrast.