Week 7: Focus Groups

image_pdfimage_print

Our focus group decided that we should first attempt to recreate each other’s polymorph objects only by looking at the instruction sheets, then give each other feedback before creating our final objects and instruction sheets.

I first tried to recreate Zita’s finger splint. The description was quite easy to follow and the splint wasn’t hard to make either . In terms of the splint itself, I secured both sides of the splint instead of having the polymorph loop around the two strips like a spring, leaving the entire middle section of the splint clear, giving even more room for the finger to breathe.

Next, I tried recreating Joe’s pencil holder. I felt like the pencil holder itself could be longer in length, since pencil holders usually have more holes than just 3 to hold different grades of pencils. Another problem I faced is that the holes are a bit too big to hold pencils or pens, since the circumference of a finger is much larger than that of a pencil.

As for my own polymorph object, Zita and Joe suggested that the arms could be longer and the hook could be located right under and closer to the arm of the table hook. With these improvements in mind, I recreated my instruction sheet and table hook, this time with longer arms and the hook under the arms. This significantly improved my table hook, as it is now able to hold even heavier objects such as a fully filled water bottle, whereas the first table hook would sometimes slip off just by holding a pair of headphones. Overall, I’m quite satisfied with how it turned out.

Our first drawing task this week was to sketch primitive forms with shading. I feel like I’m getting better at understanding how to make objects appear to be 3D on a 2D plane by using shading to simulate the positioning of lighting. However, drawing the cylinder was a bit of a challenge, since I’m not quite used to drawing ellipses just yet, so the top of the cylinder ended up being more of a square with rounded edges than looking like a circle/ellipse.

Our next drawing task was to practice more on sketching ellipses. I first used 1-point perspective to sketch different sizes of ellipses, then tried to create cylinders with these ellipses. At first, I had the same problem where the sides of the ellipses on the major axis ended up looking rather sharp instead of round, and had to erase and redo some of the ellipses for a few times just to get the shape right. Eventually, I got more and more used to it. I’m still nowhere near to fully grasping the technique of drawing ellipses completely free-hand, but I think I’m slowly getting there.

One thought on “Week 7: Focus Groups

1. Hi Daniel! Make sure your ellipses/circles in perspective are really round – many of yours show corners at the left and right side..
    Also, you want to take a pen in a different colour and show the major and minor axis of your ellipses.