Week 9: Iterative Sketching

image_pdfimage_print

Our task this week was to draw 20 iterations of a cup. I first drew an orthographic and 3D sketch of the chosen cup, allowing me to get a better grasp of the cup’s original composition.

Next, based on the 3D sketch, I created 20 variations of the cup, creating different cup shapes and handles to see which one would look the best. Ultimately, I decided that the 20th variation looked the best. Despite it’s simple changes to the top rim and base of the cup, it gives the cup a slightly more elegant and fancy look.

Next, we had to create 20 iterations of a jug. After drawing the 20 variations, I think the 18th iterations matched the chosen cup the best, as I imagined that they would pair well if both were a set of metal cups and jugs.

Finally, I drew the chosen 20th and 18th cup and jug respectively side by side, and added shading to them to highlight their shape and what they would look like as a final product.

The pringles sketch was definitely one of the more “easier said than done” drawing practices in this course, as I found it hard to make the front part of the pringle look natural where the bottom half shows, and I feel like is something that I could practice on.

One thought on “Week 9: Iterative Sketching

1. Hi Daniel. Great post. Do please rework your final presentation of the jug and the mug, using all your skills available: having a close look at your ellipses/perspective/use scaffolding for help if needed, at the way your lines work with your surface shading, adding a bit of ‘ground’ so it doesn’t look like floating.