MANTHROPOCENE & (where)wolves? ohhhh, (there)wolves lol!

Hi so yea im about to go IN TO a reading group. Its about werewolves, and i love that. the two pieces of fiction that are being discussed are wolf alice and the werewolf by angela carteer. its so funny i was on the phone to a mate the other day and i was like oh u like wolves? u should ready anglea carter the bloody chamber and he was like lol I read that yesterday! what a coinkidink!

Any way I first incountered mrs carter in my a levels where i wrote about her text the bloody chamber and the parts I wroTE i quite liked i will put them here:

The unnamed protagonist becomes a peregrine woman- her shift in allegiance and citizenship into the “country of marriage”. She almost is betraying her original nationality while simultaneously being foreign to both. In this way the protagonist inhabits the liminal
cavities of two of the key stereotypical roles of the feminine, as well as the physical
liminal setting of the castle: ‘That castle, at home neither on the land nor the water… an amphibious place, contravening the materiality of both earth and the waves’. The
seashore is a non-constant representation of the liminal and unanchored nature of the
setting. This shows the contradiction of being trapped in an indefinable cage.

I love the line contravening the materiality of both earth and the waves, gosh that is so nice, theres something about the rythm of that that has got stuck in my head for 4 years lol. The seashore challenges this idea of land and sea and prestens it as this gradient instead which is well nice.

Liminality is so present in the later, wolf-ier texts in her anthology: the werewold and wolf-alice. There is this real nice discussion of ‘skins’ sarah small writes in her text about this. The medieval werewolf model of reading skin. so very nice, it talks about vellum and RECTO AND VERSO the analogies for lycanthropy, so delish recomend a read, tho is lightly too complicated 4 lil old me. 

ALso new fave word : MANTHROPOCENE ! aha thats so funny i dont really know why I like it so much I think its just really jokes. 

Also whoops haven’t made anything yet, been soooo confused by my diss, it has completely enveloped me i hate it i want it to be over. I am so done with it, and like im so glad i have an extension but im also like i really just want 2 create something physical plsssssss. 

Ideas for paintings: 

I wanna do like a cat in the shower with some feet and soap, and i want to give the cat eating people thing another go too @ some point. Also got an idea for a sculpture that encorperates the aroma diffuser avec catnip that i was thinkin about at the end of last sem.

Also the house of a cat lady as post-human utopia ?? wot u think? maybe? would b nice to do some world building (thnx davie) with her home as the facilitator