Bear Ham

Bear ham: I’m sure we all know it, for me i think of it in the meat counter at morisions, sitting noplussed-ly between fine cuts of breaded and honey-roasted, or simply glazed, as if of course it should be there. What is it? It is ham isn’t it? But why are some parts paler and some more pink? The most important question though is why is it in the shape of a bear?

Who gathered all of the off cuts of their pork sausages/bacon, the snouts, the trotters, the tails and thought yeeeeea imma grind this up and reform it into a bear shaped thing?

Dont get me wrong, I love it. I think its brilliant, and if my memory serves me correctly it was delicious too. I’ve talked to some friends about this and it is this sort of ubiquitous “omg yeaaaaa bear ham i remeber that’ response. But it’s the exact same ingredients of most hams, why is the addition of the bear face an addition of absolute taste perfection? It goes back, I think, bergers take on zoo’s: ‘”the zoo to which people go to meet animals, to observe them, to see them, is, in fact, a monument to the impossibility of such encounters”, the imposibility of havin a peice of ham shaped like a bear is the spectacle, and for a child thats spectical that is olfactorarily all consuming, effecting how our tiny taste-buds receive the factry-ground and repackaged oaffle.

Theres another quote i love about meat, and how theres this whole thing about moving as far away from what it is (i.e. carving it into weird shapes/ glazing/crusting/ completely submerging in jelly), but i legit cant find it anywhere :(( any way i just love how we’ve gone full circle here, and the symbolism of the bear is made out of the object of the pig. I don’t know more thinkin for me to do i think

also please someone let me know how u change the font on this

Byeeeeeee

3 thoughts on “Bear Ham