Professor of Nephrology. Professorial Fellow, College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine, University of Edinburgh.
Key current activities:
- Nephrology learning
- Medical humanities (scottishmedicalhumanities.org ), History of Nephrology and of Medical Education, and more as below
Broad nephrology and transplantation, with particular interests in
- Genetic conditions – particular role in Alport Syndrome and related conditions
- Glomerular diseases and proteinuria, progression of disease
- Transition from paediatric to adult services
- Renal disease in pregnancy
- Management of rare diseases
- Democratisation of information for patients and professionals
- How can we support, and what can we learn from, nephrology in developing countries. Work in Malawi and elsewhere, and with the Renal Association and International Society of Nephrology.
Teaching and learning
- Dean of Undergraduate Learning and Teaching for the University of Edinburgh’s College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine (CMVM) 2016-21.
- OREA report on adapting to online assessment, 2020; How to put your exams online guide, 2021.
- Established HCP-Med, a streamlined route for existing healthcare practitioners to gain a full medical degree. First in UK to be part-time, or remote (for first 3 years), or bespoke for HCPs. Commencing second year in 2021.
- Established online MSc in Internal Medicine in collaboration with Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh, rcpe.ac.uk
- Much of our open-access Renal teaching is moving to MedCal, but all is indexed from edren.org/education
- Particular educational interests
- Supporting international and open learning
- Medical education in low-resource settings
- Opportunities digital education can provide more widely
- Medical Humanities, and its integration with other teaching
- Founder of edren.org (2000).
- PatientView co-founder, patientview.org – online results and info for renal patients in the UK since 2005.
- Editor of Oxford Textbook of Clinical Nephrology, 4th edition and regular e-updates: bit.ly/otcn4
- Scottish Medical Humanities project, scottishmedicalhumanities.org (2017)
- DiagnosisView app launched 2020
- MedCal – open-access teaching platform launched 2020. In beta, and only much developed yet for Renal, but now looking for other systems, specialties.
- History of Nephrology. History of Nephrology Blog
- Medical education history in Edinburgh. EdMed Timeline (new)
- Scottish hills, islands, coast. Industrial archaeology. Northumberland.
- Art. Historical fashion. World music. International cinema.
- Deputy Director of Education (online) for the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh (RCPE)
- Trustee, Alport UK
- Trustee, South East Scotland Quaker Meeting (SESAM)