At the University of Edinburgh, this years’ Postdoc Appreciation Week, known in short as PAW, is full of events and initiatives that recognise and celebrate our brilliant postdocs.
PAW is now a well-known week in the academic calendar, dedicated to celebrating all the contributions postdocs make to research. Running this year from Monday 18th September to Friday 22nd September, PAW usually involves different Universities organising national and institutional activities.
For 2023, the organisation of the NPAW UK-wide event included postdocs from the University of Edinburgh and our postdocs have also organised a fab week of events running at Edinburgh, from quizzes, flash talks, poster sessions, and different themed events, to recognition awards.
The IAD is also offering a day of 30-minute 1:1 consultations for postdoctoral researchers across the University. These are available to book either as an in-person or online session. To make the most of these sessions, we advise that you come with 2 specific question you wish to address. You questions may relate to: developing a new research project; branching out into a new research field; developing your profile in preparation for a grant application; creating more synergies between your research activities.
The IAD have also arranged a curated blog series #PostdocResearcherRealities where we will showcase the various realities of postdoc life at Edinburgh, from Lab to archival based work, juggling parenting with research, being involved in multiple projects and building research networks.
Below is a programme of events happening during PAW at Edinburgh (and nationally):
PAW Schedule of Events at Edinburgh
Monday 18th September
- UK NPAW 2023 – Creating connections and rediscovering joy (10:30am)
- #PostdocResearcherRealities – Blog Series: Blog 1
Tuesday 19th September
- BioQuarter Poster Session (10:30 am to 3:00pm)
- SBS Concordat Series: Research Culture at UoE (3:30pm)
- PODS, Pint of Science and Proteintech – Flash Talks (15:30pm-17:30pm)
- Winners announced for the ‘Nominate a Super Postdoc’ CMVM recognition awards
- #PostdocResearcherRealities – Blog Series: Blog 2
Wednesday 20th September
- #PostdocResearcherRealities – Blog Series: Blog 3
Thursday 21st September
- How to Build your Postdoctoral Research Profile (Eight 30 minute 1:1 consultation slots between 09.30am – 4.15pm)
- The Big Fat Postdoc Quiz (5.30pm)
- Institute of Molecular Plant Sciences (IMPS) Celebrating the work of postdoctoral researchers together, research presentations (3:00pm)
- How to Win a Tenure-track Fellowship, 2:30pm – 3:30pm, followed by social event)
- #PostdocResearcherRealities – Blog Series: Blog 4
Friday 22nd September
- #PostdocResearcherRealities –Blog Series: Blog 5
Winners will also be announced for the School of Biological Sciences, Postdoc Recognition Awards 2023 during the week.
For more information about PAW visit: https://support-for-researchers.ed.ac.uk/postdoc-appreciation-week