Maple leaf with text displaying the title of the blog

Mapping out memories: Brandon’s Mitacs Research summer internship in Canada

We continue to highlight our students’ Mitacs Globalink Research Internship experiences with a contribution from Brandon Warden, an undergraduate student studying Geography and Archaeology, who has just finished third year. It was great to catch up with Brandon who is currently taking part in the 2024 Mitacs internship at the University of Saskatchewa in Canada.

Over to Brandon…

Why did you decide to apply for MITACS 2024?

The main reason I applied for the MITACS Globalink Research Internship was that the opportunity to travel to Canada and gain research experience seemed too good to turn down. Even though the idea of travelling so far away from home was intimidating at first, and I was not too sure that I would even get accepted, I felt there was no harm in at least applying for the programme and seeing where my application went. Luckily, my application was accepted, and since arriving in Canada I have loved every minute, and I am so glad that I took the plunge and decided to apply.

What appealed to you about the MITACS programme?

The opportunity for personal and professional development really appealed to me. As someone who is planning to do a masters degree after my undergraduate degree, I felt it would be a good idea to try and gain some research experience as well as make some connections and experience another university just to see what was out there. Luckily, the MITACS internship would allow for this, so it seemed like a great opportunity!

On a more personal level, the chance to travel to Canada and spend some time there whilst building more confidence was also an experience that I felt I could not miss out on. I had never done any solo travel before, but MITACS offered an opportunity to push myself, experience new things and gain some skills for the future.

How did you find the application process?

The application process was fairly straightforward, requiring a covering letter, an academic transcript, as well as a reference letter from an academic. Following this, you are directed to a database containing all of the projects hosted by MITACS and you can apply for anywhere between three and seven different projects. This can be slightly overwhelming as there are so many different projects to choose from. However, it is possible to narrow them down by subject area so that you can find projects that are more closely related to what you do and what you are interested in. I would recommend doing this so that it is easier to find projects that match your skill set as well as your research interests.

You may then be asked to attend an interview with the project supervisor, although not always, as I personally did not have to attend an interview. If you are successful, MITACS will provide you with support and guidance and put you in touch with a student at your host university, so there is plenty of support for you to draw on throughout the process.

Brandon, can you tell us a bit about your internship role?

I have been taking part in the ‘Walking Perth’s Past: Local Documents, Global Implications’ project hosted in Saskatoon at the University of Saskatchewan’s English Department. The project focuses on studying Henry Adamson’s 1638 poem, ‘The Muses Threnodie’.

Initially, this may seem a strange choice of project for someone studying Geography and Archaeology. However, a main aim of the project is to work towards establishing interdisciplinary collaborations, and the poem has a great geographical and historical aspect to it, so the project fits with my interests perfectly!

Resultantly, the main aim of my involvement with the project is to create a series of companion maps for the poem focusing on how the characters navigate place and landscape in their journeys throughout, and to include sites of historical/archaeological significance on these maps. This means that my daily activities vary greatly, whether it be looking through historical texts and maps, modern studies of the poem, site reports for the places mentioned throughout, or creating the companion maps.

Each week starts with a meeting with the project supervisor to discuss progress over the past week, any ideas or issues, and possible next directions. There are sometimes larger meetings with other members of the project team to discuss our work thus far and to identify possible areas of collaboration. This of course means that each week is very busy, however, there has still been plenty of time to explore the city and the rest of Canada as well!

How have you developed so far at your internship?

Since arriving in Canada, I feel that I have been constantly learning. My internship is quite self-led, with my supervisor allowing me to work on the areas of the project that interest me the most and make decisions about the design of my contributions. This was quite daunting at first as I had never made key decisions on a project before and I was worried about making the wrong decisions. However, this freedom has turned out to be a blessing as I have been able to grow more confident in my abilities and have been able to work towards making a contribution to the project that I am truly passionate about.

Do you have any tips for students who are considering applying for MITACS in the future?

If you are even considering applying, I would say to go for it! It can be daunting, however, the experience is certainly worth it! My tips would be to apply to the maximum number of projects that you can, and to look for projects that you are going to be interested in. This will help your chances of being accepted to the programme and will also help you to make the most out of the experience.

Thanks Brandon for your excellent insight.

Remember, eligible students will have received an email from the Internships and Work Experience Team at the Careers Service, inviting them to register their interest in the programme. Don’t delay, applications close on 25th July 2024.