How to leave uni with more than your degree

Chichi Kabaso (MSc Eng and Business, 2018) secured her graduate job earlier this summer. Here are her tips for developing – and demonstrating – skills valued by employers.

While your University degree is an important part of your CV, the rest of the page is your real chance to prove you are an outstanding fit for the job you’re applying for. The skills employers are looking for include: teamwork, communication, customer care, problem solving, creativity, enterprise, leadership, IT skills and time management. They want to know about examples of when you have demonstrated these skills. So how can you use your time at University to give them what they want to hear?

Teach First - Stephanie O'Callaghan

Student societies

At Welcome Week you are likely to be inundated by societies asking you to join. Many students will dip their toe into dozens of society pools and never return however, it can be strategic to join societies that genuinely interest you and eventually take on a leadership role. I served as the secretary of the Edinburgh Bhangra Crew in my second year of University from which I gained invaluable time management skills. Many interviewers have listened to me describing my experience of managing University group projects while liaising with major companies such as the BBC and advertising agencies for society performances. It has definitely provided a unique discussion point for interviews.

Part-time jobs

Finding a part time or seasonal job is another great way to demonstrate your employability skills. Using the “part time” or “one-off” option on MyCareerHub makes it easy to find hundreds of jobs that don’t require heavy time commitments. There may even be employers looking for part time work from your field of study. In my first and second year I worked at the Edinburgh International Science Festival (which I found on MyCareerHub). This was a very enjoyable role that fitted well for myself as a STEM student and also took place during the Easter break when I had less academic work.

Class or union representatives

As a class representative or leader of a student union body you will employ feedback to improve a service thus developing your leadership, creativity and initiative skills. In my third year of University I served as the Vice Convenor (now called ‘Undergraduate representative ’) for the school of Science and Engineering. I was able to have a direct input into the improvement of new courses and developed my skills to work with a wide range of different people.

There are many opportunities to take part in the student union so don’t shy away! Research what roles are available and plan ahead to campaign.

Think outside the box

Start something you’ve always wanted to do and show off your entrepreneurial flair. University is the perfect place to do this as there is plenty of support available. Some great examples of student-led initiatives at the University are Project Elpis , the solar powered mobile charging units built by environmental science students, and Sanitree that makes reusable, environmental friendly pads.

Volunteering

Volunteering offers opportunities to develop key skills at the same time as helping the community. The Students’ Association Volunteering department has a database of volunteering vacancies to suit different interests and availability.  https://www.eusa.ed.ac.uk/activities/volunteering/

NEW **

MyDevelopmentHub is a new platform to help you identify and benefit from the huge range of opportunities open to you at the University of Edinburgh.

Image: Teach First -Stephanie O’Callaghan