Graduate insight – Employ.ed in an SME

This guest post comes from Kate, an Edinburgh Business Management Graduate. Kate took part in an Employ.ed in an SME internship at Attacat and we asked her to share her experience with us. 

Tell us about your host company

• Attacat is a marketing agency for businesses who take their online presence seriously, they have been at the forefront of SEO and paid search for 12 years and have a proven track record of adding value to a client’s bottom line through digital marketing.
  • They are an exciting company to work for as they are so forward focused and the office culture is just amazing.

What was your job role?  

• My role as Account Executive is to help to manage our clients paid digital marketing activities, this predominantly involves managing their Google Pay-Per-Click accounts but can also include creating and managing Facebook campaigns.
  • Another important part of my role is managing client relations, learning how to understand their needs and manage their expectations has been a crucial learning curve for me.

What did you gain from your internship experience?

• I’ve learnt so much it’s hard to know where to start! Being in the Pay-Per-Click team has meant I’ve learnt how to set up paid search campaigns from start to finish and then manage them successfully.
  • Attacat has placed importance on my development, as part of my job I am required to pass relevant Google certifications and I have already been sent on a training day at the Google offices in London. Their investment and interest in my continued learning is extremely valuable to me and has helped me to improve upon the quality of my work.

What is the best thing about working for an SME (small & medium sized enterprise)?

• Being given responsibility from the get go. There is no time to hang around when you work for a SME so you tend to get thrown in the deep end, which is great! You learn a lot and you learn fast.

Any advice you would give to future interns working in SMEs?

• Get stuck in and ask plenty of questions!
  • Working in a SME is great because you get to see what is going on in all areas of the business, make sure you make the most of this and get experience in as many areas as you can.

Employ.ed in an SME internships, funded by Santander, are open to University of Edinburgh undergraduates and postgraduates graduating in 2017, and University of Edinburgh alumni who graduated in 2015 or 2016.
If you are looking for a graduate internship search current Employ.ed in an SME vacancies on MyCareerHub now.