Over the next few months, Gina Black, Careers Consultant for Edinburgh College of Art, and Sharon Cant, Employer Engagement Advisor, will be regularly posting to share a summary of what’s new in terms of Creative & Cultural Careers. We hope these round-ups will be useful for any students and graduates interested in Creative & Cultural career paths, no matter what you study, or what stage you are at.
We’re splitting this up into three areas:
Absorb – this is where we’ll highlight anything new we’ve read, watched or listened to that we’ve thought is particularly insightful, or hidden gems that we want to bring back to your attention
Go – there’s always lots going in and around Edinburgh, and this is where we’ll share our pick of upcoming industry events that are open and accessible to recent to students and graduates
Do – this is where we’ll share some suggestions of actions you could take to help you move towards the creative & cultural career you want.
So, let’s get started!
- This article on “Creatives Most Valuable Career Lessons” was a real and honest read – I particularly enjoyed the point on finding a way to make social media work for your personality type
- Creative Edinburgh’s blog giving us an Insight into the Creative Floor at Codebase was quite an eye opener – I knew great things happened there but the variety of creative businesses in there was greater than I’d imagined – from Interior Design to Filmmaking.
- If you haven’t heard of Sharing Things, it’s a student-led podcast and is essentially a conversation between two members of our university community. Episode 5 gives a great insight into two different creative writing career paths.
- We’re really looking forward to the panel on Working in Creative Tech, as part of the Careers in Tech & Data fair on 12th The session has a fantastic industry host, and speakers from Interference Pattern (Animation & Visual Effects studio), Amazon and the Data & Marketing Association. Session starts at 1pm in McEwan Hall – just come along.
- Did you know that CreativeMornings run free events on the last Friday of every month in venues all around Edinburgh? Tickets go fast, but sign up to their mailing list now and you could grab a spot at the next one on 28th
- The Deutsche Bank Awards for Creative Entrepreneurs are now open – this is great opportunity that we would encourage you to consider applying for if you have ideas related to setting up your own creative business – you don’t need a fully formed plan at this stage! https://dbace.org/. Edinburgh Innovations are running a special workshop on Wednesday 26th February (5-6pm) to support students interested in applying to these awards – you can sign up to the workshop here.
- Why not pick a few new organisations that interest you and follow them on your social media of choice, or sign up for their newsletter. It’s a great way to expose yourself to something new – even for a short while – you can always unsubscribe or unfollow if you don’t find their content helpful. The Creative Arts & Design or Information, Research & Culture pages on our website have loads of links to industry bodies, and key organisations.
We hope you find these snippets useful. Follow us on Instagram and we’ll let you know when the next blog post is published @cccf_edinburgh
Thanks for reading,
Sharon & Gina