Picture of Eilidh wearing graduation gown.

Could working with data be for you? Hear from Eilidh

We’re delighted to kickstart our series of guest blog posts on #EdTechDataCareers with an excellent contribution from University of Edinburgh alumna, Eilidh McCroskie who graduated with a Psychology and Business degree in 2023. Eilidh now works as an Account Manager with Procter and Gamble (P&G), a leading company in the manufacture of Fast-Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG), and highlights how she uses data in her commercial role. 

If you’re interested in working in this industry, then this is the blog for you! 

Hi Eilidh, can you tell us a bit about your current role? 

In September 2023, I joined P&G as an Account Manager after graduating with a degree in Psychology and Business. Being an Account Manager is exciting, fast-paced, varied and challenging. I really enjoy my role; I’ve been given responsibility from day one and with the support of my manager I am the key decision maker for my business. This challenges me to be innovative to unlock opportunities for my customer and the company. It also develops leadership skills straight after university. No two days are the same with typical duties including: 

• selling innovation to buyers 
  • exploring risks and opportunities 
  • forecasting for supply 
  • coordinating the various stakeholders involved in getting our products from factories to stores  
  • writing reports for internal strategy teams  

My favourite part of the role is analysing current sales in my business to develop insights and strategies moving forward. 

How do you use data in your role? 

In my role, I use data when presenting to my customer. For example: 

• to show the potential value opportunity for new products or promotions 
  • to demonstrate the national success of the products I am selling. 
  • to identify opportunities for my customer, looking at consumer and market trends.  

Sales data is also used to determine forecasts for supply requirements, and in my business reports, to investigate the impact of various strategies on my business so that I can construct future plans. 

Eilidh, what’s it like to work in the FMCG industry? 

It’s a fascinating industry to be a part of as it is incredibly dynamic. It is influenced by socio-political movements as consumers are at the heart of the industry. Everyone goes to supermarkets so shifts in consumer psychology as a result of increased economic uncertainty impacts shopping trends. As the cost-of-living increases, we have seen discounters growing incredibly fast, with consumers buying into private label products.  

Did you do anything during your degree that helped you become more comfortable with data? 

For me, relevant experience included tutoring Higher maths, being the treasurer of Footlights Theatre society and completing courses for Data Analysis in Psychology.  

What is your advice and tips for breaking into the industry? 

I would highly recommend applying for a job at P&G. Whilst for most roles you don’t need a particular degree background, if you are interested in applying to a role in sales, I would suggest emphasising any experience you have with data and maths. You do not need a maths degree, just a good grounding in it as the job involves working with internal and external finances. I would also strongly recommend gaining experience in leadership whether that be in a university society or elsewhere. For example, I had an Etsy business and produced a show at the Edinburgh Fringe which demonstrated leadership skills. 

Overall, make sure that you highlight any experience that you feel proud of and that demonstrates skills in communication, organisation, entrepreneurship, and creativity. In P&G there is a strong culture to develop people and promote from within the firm. This creates a fantastic community for new graduates and one of the most special parts of joining the company has been getting to know my wonderful team and graduate group. I moved to London having always lived in Scotland and I immediately felt part of a special community. 

Thanks Eilidh. 

The Careers in Tech & Data Fair on 28th February offers the chance to meet around 40 organisations recruiting for a variety of tech & data opportunities. No matter your subject or year, this fair is for you – exhibiting organisations will have a huge range of opportunities for all.  You can use the hashtag #EdTechDataCareers on MyCareerHub and socials to find employers with relevant vacancies and events. Drop by McEwan Hall between 12.30-4pm to explore! Go to MyCareerHub to find out more about the event including which organisations will be there. 

Did you know that you can receive new blog post alerts? Don’t miss out on our second blog in the #EdTechDataCareers series which will be published soon… sign up today to get email alerts sent straight to your inbox at: https://blogs.ed.ac.uk/careersinformed/ 

(Picture taken from LinkedIn with authors permission.)