Find out what our undergraduate veterinary medicine students have to say about living and studying in Edinburgh.

Things to do in Penang

Things to do in Penang

Hi again, I hope that 2020 is treating everyone well. I have mentioned briefly in my previous blog about some of the cool things you can do in Penang. And if you are intrigued to know more about it, please make sure that you follow it through this blog.

Student in Escape park crossing bridge

As Penang is well known as a food capital, one can expect a whole variety of food from cheap local street food to posh fine dining. I have always enjoyed the local cuisine more than anything else. It is hard to say which is my favourite dish when there are so many that I like! Many people might not know that Malaysia is a multi-ethnic and multi-cultural country. There are three main ethnic groups: Malay, Chinese and Indian. And thanks to the fusion of different ethnicities that we have so many unique cuisines to choose from.

However, if you are less of a foodie than me, you can also consider hiking up to the top of Penang Hill. If you feel that the heat in Penang is too much for a hike (I will not blame you for it), you can also easily reach the top with the funicular railway. Hopefully, you will get to see some monkeys on your way up. If you are someone adventurous and wanting to challenge yourself, ESCAPE theme park is definitely the place for you. There are more than 30 thrilling activities including zip-lining, water slides, rides and many more that you can choose from in the park.

Penang is also home to many of the renowned beaches in Malaysia. The beaches in Penang are usually wider and bigger. Although the water might not be perfectly crystal clear all the time, they are still great spots for tanning and relaxing. There is indeed no better way to spend your evening than listening to the waves crashing on the shore and watching the Sun go down over the horizon.

Even though there are so many great things about Penang that I will always long for whenever I am back in Edinburgh, nothing beats the time I get to spend with my family. And I hope to be back to this beautiful island again very soon!