Week 3 – Exploration in Sound and Cinema

MASTERCLASS

Again we began this week with a masterclass, and this week we were focusing on editor Lindsay Watson. My five main takeaways from this talk were:

1. The main tools used in editing in the industry are Premier, Avid and Da Vinci and if we are interested in this side of the industry, we should become familiar with these softwares.
2. Organisation and file management are incredibly important within editing and not having everything organised can make your life hell as an editor.
3. Communication is imperative as an editor and being clear on timings of a task and the look that is to be achieved is particularly important when discussing the edit with the HOD’s.
4. Being open to more than just one interest within the industry is crucial as you may have non idea about some roles that would be a perfect fit for you. For example Lindsay was originally planning on becoming a photographer and resulted in being an editor.
5. In house editing can lead to better networking however working freelance is more freeing for an editor.

I have always been interested with sound design and had immense fun doing the sound and foley in a short film I made at the London Film Academy, so this talk was something I’d like to keep in mind when discovering my path in the industry. I am also interested in music in film and have always had a playlist to go for m shorts that I believe draws passion and inspiration.

GRAD FILM

This week the Us Not Them team met over zoom call to discuss what we had yet to do in the process of pre-production.

Prior to this call I also completed some tasks. This included exploring milanote as it was not a website I had used before and I wanted to know my way around it. Once I had completed this, I ensured that the websites we would be using for the casting process had changed passwords (for my privacy as they were my accounts) and I followed this with posting these websites, usernames, and passwords to the milanote. This required me to communicate with Ava about what we want the name and password to be for the instagram and when our first choice was taken, allowing her to discover and choose the next best fit. I also explored the option of using spotlight but it required a more profession level than a student film to post on.

I also added the list of our crew with contact details to the milanote for ease of our HOD’s, and created independent To-Do Lists for each us.

I also prepared some ways to raise money for post-production, this included an art collection showing, to a pub crawl. However these are still at the back of our minds in terms of the films progress.

Within this weeks zoom call we focused heavily on casting in which we secured the longline, themes, character descriptions and synopsis. This casting experience is something I particularly enjoy and excel in as for my experience working briefly at Colin Jones’ casting agency and finding actors for Markham Froggatt and Irwin.