Week 1 – Stagnant but getting started

MASTERCLASS

This week began with a masterclass from the extremely beneficial 1st AD, Stuart Cadenhead. Being assigned an Assistant Directer position for one of the projects this term, I took in as much advice and information as I could from Stuart’s seminar, who is most recently known from his Assistant Director work on No Way Up. The most valuable information that I received from Stuart was the following:

1. The collaboration with the HOD’s in the pre-production process. Stuart aided me in my understanding of how the production side of the project collaborates and how rather than the AD working closely with the Director, they work closer with the producer.
2. He also allowed me to understand just how important it is to not slack and to arrive on set on time. I am aware of how small the industry is and everyone knows everyone, so this can really impact your reputation!
3. I was also enlightened by an in depth understanding of the movement order and call sheet and how to prepare and follow them.
4. The script breakdown is something that I don’t have much experience in so he gave me a great starting point to really be well prepared for when I breakdown a script of my own.
5. The importance of getting onto a real set was also highlighted by Stuart.

GRAD FILM

This term I have received the job of 1st Assistant Director on the grad film, Us Not Them, directed by Louis Hudd. My past experiences in film production have mainly been directing my own short films which have little to no crew, and also working on other shorts at the London Film Academy, where lines between the AD’s role and the other roles on set were blurred, so Stuart’s advice was extremely valuable. However though taking away a clearer understanding I am still entirely prepared and willing to take on any roles thrown at me, wether or not they are in the ‘role’s guidelines’; especially being a first year film student working as AD for a fourth year film.

With the grad students within Us Not Them finishing off their dissertation this week I have understandably not yet heard back from them however I have started my preparation with further research into call sheets, movement order and location scouting. I also am in the process of hopefully getting into contact with the well celebrated Dominic Fysh to gather any advice he can give me!