Our scheduled masterclass was cancelled due to illness this week, so instead we had a great talk from sound specialist, Ali Murray. My 5 main takeaways from this talk were:

1. The earlier you can bring on a sound designer, the better. It’s cheaper and more believable to record it properly to start with than to have to fix it in post.
  2. It’s good to make notes when you first watch a piece of footage. That is what the audience will see, and you will never get to see it for the first time again.
  3. Try and use as many naturalistic sounds on set as possible, as it will usually sound more realistic.
  4. Create a case study before taking on a project, compiling things such as likes & dislikes about the project, and the different factors playing into doing it etc
  5. The same sound can be different depending on context e.g. a car crash in Mr Bean will sound very different than one in James Bond, so you have to tailor it to the project you are doing.

It has been a quieter week this week as we prepare for the shoots, so I have just been doing a few tasks here are there for each of the projects.

For Hypervigilant, I have been keeping an eye on the social media page and so when we got a message from a horror blog asking to feature us, I contacted Roisin to see if it was something she would be interested in. She said that whilst we cannot let them show the film before most of the film festivals, we can get some publicity for the film from them, so I got back to them saying that we would be interested and gave them our hypervigilant email. Roisin also asked whether I could post the casting call information on Backstage, and so I created a post for it, but unfortunately I couldn’t post it without paying for it, so I asked Roisin what she wanted to do, and am waiting to hear back.

For Waiting for Marcus, Sára asked us to spread the word about looking for extras for the party scene, so we talked to people who might be interested. Sára also asked if we could have a meeting later in the week, and we agreed on Friday at 12:00. In this meeting we discussed the timings for the shoot day and Sára checked in about the Indiegogo page. I gave her a list of the information I’d need in order to complete the Indiegogo page and she said she’d get it to me as soon as possible. She said she wants the campaign to last for 30 days, so I put that in my notes for when I do the page. We also discussed the incentives a little more as she had changed her mind on the pricing of some of them. We didn’t come up with a finalised set of incentives but Sára said we would discuss and agree on one soon. She also said that I would be getting more involved with posting on the social media, and asked me to come to a meeting with her and the graphic designers for this project on the following Monday.

Week 5 / Ava Amrolia's Blog by is licensed under a