We started this week off with a masterclass from Lindsay Watson, an editor currently working in the industry. My 5 main takeaways from this talk were

1. You’re not always going to end up where you think so be open to oppurtunities. Lindsay thought she was going to be doing stills photography and ended up in editing.
  2. File management is a key part of being an editor.
  3. You need to have familiarity with your editing software before the editing as once you’re in the editing room, everything will be happening very quickly.
  4. There is more security with in house editing, and you get to meet important people in the industry- however freelance is more unrestrained, so you can work with who you want and can bounce ideas off each other more.
  5. Good communication is essential between the editor & the director/ producer. As an editor, you must tell them timings for the project & individual tasks.

This week I continued working on my 4th year grad films, having meetings and doing tasks for them. We also had a seminar with talks from some older students and from Julie about particular aspects of film and being on set, such as the art department, sound and camera. These were helpful to get a different perspective and understand more about set etiquette and smaller parts of the job that we might not have previously considered.

For Waiting For Marcus we had scheduled a social media meeting on Tuesday, so I met with Sára and Molly and we discussed our social media strategy, and what we wanted for future posts. We decided that I would handle the tiktok whilst Molly would handle the instagram, however we would both help each other out where needed. Sára and I also briefly discussed what we wanted to use as the incentives for the indiegogo page, and we decided on the setup included in the photo below. I was also auditioning for Waiting For Marcus as an actress, and so I had my callback on Saturday. I was auditioning for the role of Lucy, and I auditioned with two other actresses who were auditioning for the role of Charlotte to test for chemistry. In preparation for this, I read the full script and then practiced the section which I was going to be auditioning with, trying a few different styles to see which worked.

For Hypervigilant I heard back from Roisin that she liked the second version of my casting call, and requested that I upload it to the instagram and distributed it across facebook pages. Unfortunately that day I got injured, so I was unable to work on this for a few days, however I communicated this with her and she was very understanding. In this email I also asked whether we could have a brief meeting to discuss social media strategy and any upcoming posts she might want and so we arranged a meeting for the following Tuesday.

Week 3 / Ava Amrolia's Blog by is licensed under a