Week9_Sprint4#Barcamp_Problem Senario

I have created and licenced an Open Toolkit for Artistic Learning. I’d like to organise a public event within which to present and run this Open Toolkit that will attract like-minded peers. I’ve heard that “unconferences” are ways of organising such participatory events, but I’m not sure what unconferences are, or how to find out about them. It all seems so daunting. Where should I start?

Begin by addressing their key concern (i.e. their anxiety: ‘Where should I start?’).

You should try to draw on your own experience here. Given what you know now, what would you do?

If you wish, you can write out a set of ‘rules’. If you want to modify some existing rules, you can do so provided you fully cite all of your sources.

• Where should I start?

For me, I started by reading books from the library resources,  I thought the most important point was figuring out what unconferences were. During reading Mob rule learning camps, unconferences, and trashing the talking head, for example, as our assignment of creating the barcamp, we need to know what barcamp is at first.
  As my research, BarCamp is an ad-hoc gathering born from the desire for people to share and learn in an open environment. It is an intense event with discussions, demos, and interaction from attendees. The event doesn’t cost any money, but there is a price: all attendees must give a demo, a session, or help with one. Anyone with something to contribute or with the desire to learn are welcome and invited to join. When you come, be prepared to share with barcampers. When you leave, be prepared to share it with the world.

So if you would like to create and license an Open toolkit, a public unconferences, you need to figure out what the unconferences are, what is its form, what type of venue is needed, the number of participants, the theme, and the way everyone speaks.

• About my Open Toolkit work and reflection:

At very first, I decided to make a workshop to improve people’s self-confidence, as I have learnt during my undergraduate’s performance lesson, to release people inside mental power. But after the tutorial, Professor Neil advised me to combine my confidence-building workshop with the black magic games which I had performed few weeks ago. This gave me a new way to think about my Open Toolkit, my new practice. It has been developed from a single performance game into a reflecting think about the confidence and magic, which is more like a practice of learning or feeling the power of confidence through magic. 

But in the process of revising, I found that I do not have enough proof to prove my practice’s point: confidence make magic come ture. So Professor Neil recommend me three books for further reading, and I quite got the key points that I wanted to present in my practice, to assist people in gaining faith in my magic so they can get the outcomes they seek. That’s what I want my practice achieve.

• In Confidence, Culture:

During my further reading,  a focus on confidence has been at the heart of putting gender inequality in the workplace on the agenda and has inspired and empowered many women in their careers. women’s self-doubt and the barriers to their progress and success. Here, we turn our critical attention to the realm of relationships: one’s relationship with others and oneself. The Huffington Post’s Psychology Today offers us “11 ways to improve your relationship with yourself”, while the Psychology Today Journal suggests “12 keys to building a good self-relationship, starting now”, declaring “The relationship you have with yourself is arguably the most important relationship in your life.

Redolent of celebrities such as Angelina Jolie, through foregrounding her multiple feminine roles and identities and highlighting her embodied and affective intimacy of being “here with you” and “for you,” Markle displayed her role as a humanitarian charity “do-gooder” and her compassion for “the afflicted.” Through these ordinary behaviors under the “celebrity effect”, people can enhance their sources of self-confidence and better carry out their own life and work. This is not only the influence of confidence, but also a culture shaped by confidence, a new school. And from reading, I learnt that the first Saudi, Dhoha Abdullah, a female chef at the Riyadh Hotel: Rayouf Alhumedhi, who developed the first hijab emoji; and Fatima Baatouk, who wanted to give girls like her the chance to be confident in sport and became the country’s first female gym owner. Confidence is a kind of culture around the world.
  Against this backdrop, confidence emerges as a disciplinary technology, “New Age spirituality” is increasingly embedded in corporate culture and circulated more widely through smartphone apps and social media that traffic ideas about “positive mental attitude,” the “law of attraction” (in which “the universe” is said to “have your back”), and capital-friendly McMindfulness programs.
   So, “Choose to be confident” sits alongside those who “have the courage to be vulnerable”; the advice to be “bold” goes hand in hand with the instruction to “embrace failure”; at the same time, the advice not to “worry about the little things” and to “give up on perfection” helps to establish imperfection as a new cultural ideal that goes hand in hand with vulnerability, provided it can be met with confidence.
  • In Cruel Optimism:

All attachments are optimistic. I also found an intersting concept, which is called Apostrophe. It is from a book named “Apostrophe, Animation, and Abortion,” apostrophe is an indirect, unstable, physically impossible but phenomenologically vitalizing movement of rhetorical animation that permits subjects to suspend themselves in the optimism of a potential occupation of the same psychic space of others, the objects of desire who make you possible (by having some promising qualities, but also by not being there). The concept made me think about my open toolkit, the confidence between me and my audience, the whole scenario takes place in our minds, but in the midst of all the conditions that can predict the outcome, I have created a false moment of the present, a moment made possible by your fantasies about me and my assistant, representing the desire to make something possible and projected onto others.

In the first, we find Rosetta at the end of a very long day. She has made a friend, Riquet, and through that friendship found an off- the- books job at a waffle maker, escaped her alcoholic and sexually profligate mother, and, with Riquet, spent the evening imitating what it might be like sometime to have fun with a friend or in a couple. She is awkward at this thing called relaxing but she is game; she’ll take the risk of submitting to someone else’s pleasure economy in order to get that thing she wants, whose qualities she describes as she goes to sleep: “Your name is Rosetta. My name is Rosetta. You found a job. I found a job. You have a friend. I’ve got a friend. You have a normal life. I have a normal life. You won’t fall through the cracks. I won’t fall through the cracks. Good night. Good night.”

For everyone, regardless of their ethnic and racial origins, the various normative emotions about the fantasy and reality of a good life may be bound together in a social world that is better than the traditional forms. These scenes may give rise to new types of political or social affiliation. But in the present moment of these films they are in producing contingent folding. There is no room there to distinguish between political, economic and emotional forms of existence, as the intimate relationships that constitute the environment of everyday life society is only intrinsically different, but in fact, as we know, it is intimately linked to various institutional, economic, historical and symbolic dynamics.

As the writer said, he did not close his chapter with a solution to the problem of aspirational normativity as expressed in the conventionalities of subaltern feeling, because, he was arguing, the subordinated sensorium of the worker, whose acted of rage and ruthlessness are mixed with forms of care, is an effect of the relation between capitalism’s refusal of futurity in an overwhelmingly productive present and the normative promise of intimacy. This enables us to imagine that having a friend, or making a date, or looking longingly at someone who might, after all, show compassion for our struggles, is really where living takes place.

8 replies to “Week9_Sprint4#Barcamp_Problem Senario”

1. Neil Mulholland says:

I really like this formulation: “like a practice of learning or feeling the power of confidence through magic.” Very good! Has tons of potential…

2. Neil Mulholland says:

You are really making some good connections here between magic and confidence culture/cruel optimism. I think this is something that your Toolkit might be able to convey – but let’s see what happens next week? Even if the Toolkit doesn’t quite carry this ambition, you can still frame it in this way when you work on as an open toolkit after the BarCamp. That’s something that should feature in your final submission. One thing you need to do this this post first is edit it and include all of your citations in full.

3. s2358907 says:

The first part of the author explains the issues raised by the problem scenario. The problem scenario is effectively addressed. Yes, when we address the problem scenario, we should first start by understanding what a non-meeting is.

I like what the author wrote: Confidence make magic come true.

In the third part the author takes many insights from the book and gives examples to demonstrate the relationship between confidence and culture. The idea of confidence emerging as a disciplinary technique was presented and caught my eye.

Finally the link is made to their own toolkit.
    The whole blog is very logical and a good one.

4. s2248556 says:

After reading the author’s articles, it can be seen that there has been a lot of reading literature and related bibliographies.
    I find it interesting to reflect on the author’s own “magic game”. The author manages to make the connection between magic and self-confidence. It is not easy to know that building self-confidence is not easy. In the book “Apostrophe, Animation, and Abortion” quoted by the author, it is important to learn that all attachments are optimistic and full of self-confidence. This is also closely related to the theme of the author’s game: confidence makes magic come true.

5. s2457669 says:

what you have learnt about Barcamp and why it exists has been clearly stated and evaluated on the blog. i like how you have written about the assigned reading and summarised it in a way that is easy to learn from helpful to look back on. i enjoyed reading about the facilitation styles and how you see each of these as an important way to engage with all participants. i think the research you have carried out for your own workshop is very clear and defined and related to your idea well.

6. s2321841 says:

This is a really insightful and thoughtful post, and Jia Ding puts herself in the shoes of the author of “Solving their anxiety problems – where to start? The author suggests that she would start by reading books and I really agree with her that this is the best way we can understand the concepts and find answers to our questions.
    I read the author’s reflections on her own Open Toolkit work and it was really detailed and thought provoking. The author has found many relevant examples through reading the book to keep thinking about and enriching her Toolkit, which is really a great learning process. I think this is something I should learn from the author, this post has benefited me a lot, thank you very much for sharing it.

7. s2414944 says:

Bringing confidence and providing spirits in barcamp is really positive to participants.