Drawing and Inspiration for my Concept

Initially I looked at the porous structure of the Pomelo fruit and the unique pathways that the slime mould forms in its search for food. This led me on to develop some pen and ink drawings which I later use to draw on photoshop and illustrator to conceptualise my designs. Keeping in mind the brief, I wanted to create something that would also provide an aesthetic value to the covering, now that I had researched the functionality of the design. I looked at the colour palette and my own mood boards for inspiration, also trying to include a variety of skin tones and colours by using editing on Photoshop to achieve this.

The below designs are the result of using Photoshop and Illustrator to further edit and develop my drawings so that they work with the skin adding a fashionable aesthetic to a medical bandage or covering. I feel these drawings show my theme of Structured Pattern in nature of the slime moulds and porous patterns very well, with this idea of growth coming through. I also tried to adapt the shape of each drawing to conform to different parts of the body, in preparation for my upcoming material samples. I like how the pattern curves and bends effortlessly, joined by these small pore like circles that stand all connected. This structure could also mean pieces could be added or taken away to add more coverage or not. I have also experimented with colour a little, adding tonal patches in between the structure to give a more natural look.

« »