20/11/2020 Apples in Progress (Presentation / Practice / research)

image quality low – apples began to chip from moving them so much -quick touch up – research image only 

I like how the apples look arranged In a pile –  I hope to have many more so the pile is much larger. I am considering walk ways or spaces that will obstruct the publics usual movements. Each apple will represent aproximatly 200 children within Edinburgh that are living below the breadline. I hope that the scale and repetition of a familiar object will help to put this figure into perspective and recognise the seriousness of the issue. 21,000 children were living bellow the bread line in Edinburgh in 2019 this would mean I need 105 apples for each to represent 200 children. rough idea of numbers at the moment.

issue using acrylic paint – I like the look and multi dimensional appearance with colour / tones. It chips incredibly easy and left the apples totally battered after I had moved them around. I will try glazing them with PVA glue to see if this makes a difference however just now I am going to focus on making more apples once my plaster arrives next week.

I will continue making apples similar from sugar as I like that it adds a smell to the work. Sugar ties into ideas around sweet/unhealthy foods being cheaper and easier to buy for people with a low income. Candied apples also have childhood connotations and the smell gives imagery of candy floss or toffee apples at Halloween.

I think using apples as a vessel to represent children as opposed to being specific about people will make the work more open to interpretation. I am okay with the viewer looking at it and not thinking about the issue of child poverty, I don’t want to trivialise this issue. I would hope that looking at the work considering scale and the multiples of the intended final work would help to bring perspective of the issue. But then whilst the viewer is looking at it, how then would I tell them that each apple represents 200 children in Edinburgh?

writing on the floor?

sound?

text?

Published by

s1745981

4th Year Sculpture