15/10/2020 (Research, Presentation) Draw Yourself Picking an Apple from a Tree

I have been researching into Art Therapy practices and how to analyse art works in a therapeutic sense. I have asked friends to complete a simple therapeutic exercise just purley out of interest. They were asked to ‘draw yourself picking an apple from a tree’ using A4 white paper and coloured pens and pencils.

Interestingly, it has formed a new way of communication between myself and friends other than the typical use of facebook and facetime. However with me being in isolation it couldn’t be in person. In future i would like to do this in person. I have found that the people participating were very hesitant and feared not having a good artistic ability. These people are a mix of ages and show a cautious approach to creating  simple drawing. Considering drawing with pencils is something we have all been doing since we were children – why do we stop and suddenly fear doing it?

Due to galleries and museums being closed and people in and out of isolation, art in its typical form is becoming less accessible; especially to those who arent usually engaged with art. This activity of drawing yourself picking an apple is engaging people in creating art again and allowing them to become re engaged even if that is only for a couple of minutes. i am going to continue looking at ways to engage people with my art in this new world we live in from remote environments such as their homes.  I will also consider different methods of displaying my work  which will allow it to be forced upon people within their homes or daily routines during a socially distanced society. This could be through more activities or tests, adverts, postal mail or even on typical household items such as milk, eggs or  a ketchup bottle.

Through this test activity I found that Chloe, Suzanna and Amie both found it amusing once they had started feeling their approach was somewhat childish. Chloe and Amies images both visually appear in a happy context with bright colours and repetitions of bright coloured fruit and clothing.  (I will analyse images further and upload more as i receive them)

If anyone wishes to participate and ‘draw yourself picking an apple from a tree’ please email to s1745981@ed.ac.uk

Chloe

Charley

Kathryn

Myself

Barbara

Caron

Suzanna

Amie

Published by

s1745981

4th Year Sculpture