As a starting point for my Research Project, and to get an idea of the possible directions I could take, I have created a mind map on Miro outlining the different facets of my chosen theme, WORKSITE. My intention is to expand on and develop the WORKSITE project I began during last semester’s Curating course, building on the existing WORKSITE platform by incorporating new website features along with further research and a range of new outcomes, including group work, publications and/or residencies.
My initial mapping of the WORKSITE topic has raised several questions, each of which will provide different opportunities for further research. The questions fall in to three broad categories, though there is significant overlap and crossover between these categories.
Questions relating primarily to the Website include:
- What existing websites could be used as an example or for inspiration?
- Who is the website aimed at / who is it for?
- Who could benefit from the site / how could they benefit?
- How will I define “work” and/or “workers”?
- What kinds of “work” and/or “site” do I intend to focus on?
- What is understood as “conventional” and “unconventional” in regards to artistic work and/or site? What constitutes a studio or work site?
Questions relating broadly to Research include:
- How does the presence of the family influence the themes addressed in one’s work?
- How do practical limitations both positively and negatively impact artistic work?
- In what ways can constraint be employed as an artistic strategy?
- What are the positive / negative impacts of different working patterns?
- What examples are there to learn from (e.g. in art history)?
- What, if anything, is the “standard working pattern”?
- What are some examples from outside of art practice?
- How does the conventional 9-5 working day relate to or contrast with the potentially more “unconventional” artistic approach to work?
- What sort of sites/exchanges would be beneficial to artists-without-studios
- How does the artist-without-studio relate / contrast with the body-without-organs?
Questions relating to possible Outcomes include:
- What kind(s) of product / activity / group would be most beneficial / relevant to the intended audience?
- What physical outcomes might be relevant?
- What events or activities might be relevant?
My next steps will be to begin looking at these questions in more detail and to start building a reading list relating to the different issues raised.