Taking strips of the deflated egg membranes, I pressed them to the surface of a vaselined vintage aluminium jelly mould. To my suprise, the membrane bonded together really well and has continued to hold its form.
It is worth noting that the addition of vaseline as a release agent causes the membrane to be less brittle and have a slightly shiny, translucent finish rather than the white, matte, opaque surface of membranes that have simply air dried.
Impression of Toby jug face
This trial was attempted without any release agent, so it is unsurprising that the membrane, which shrinks when it dries was difficult to remove.
I made the mistake of leaving a collection of blown eggs in vinegar solution for too long. The perfectly blown egg membranes had deflated, with the air escaping from the high pressure of the interior out through the pores of the egg membrane and bubbling to the surface.
After 30 minutes, I made the mistake of taking the eggs after they had been submerged in simmering vinegar and washing them under cold water. This change in temperature shocked the eggs and caused some of the shells to crack, damaging the membrane underneath.
Nevertheless, I love the material qualities of the egg shells at this point. Their terracotta colour is paired back, emerging as an uber-matte, pebble like pastel.
Using a steam cooker, I decided to try heating whole eggs in vinegar for 1hr 30mins and leaving them submerged over night. As I am looking to purely extract the membranes to make impressions, it would be unnecessary to blow all the eggs as I’ve found I can peel the membrane off the hard boiled eggs.