GeoResources: Carbon Capture and Storage
Carbon Capture and Storage provides a mechanism for dealing with large point source CO2 emissions that need to be reduced by capturing the CO2 stream and storing it in geological formations. We know that the principle can work because CO2 is already stored in the subsurface naturally, in much the same way as natural gas is stored. Whilst we are being effective at transitioning towards renewable energy sources, it seems likely that some industries such as steel and cement production, will find this harder. My research interests focussed on how we can understand the fate of CO2 when injected into the subsurface, testing some of the impacts of a leak of CO2 on the sea floor environment, exploring some of the engineering considerations with regard to well design and how we can deal with uncertainty. Whilst I published on this area for around a decade, it is no longer a primary focus for my research.
Prof Stuart Haszeldine
Dr Mark Wilkinson
Dr Jen Roberts
Dr Neil Burnside
Dr Rami Eid
- R Kilgallon, SMV Gilfillan, K Edlmann, CI McDermott, M Naylor, … (2018) Experimental determination of noble gases and SF6, as tracers of CO2 flow through porous sandstone, Chemical Geology, 480, 93-104
- Roberts, J. J., Gilfillan, S.M.V., Stalker, L. & Naylor, M. (2017) Geochemical tracers for monitoring offshore CO2stores, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control
- Roberts, J. J., Wilkinson, M., Naylor, M., Shipton, Z. K., Wood, R. & Haszeldine, R., (2017) Natural CO2 sites in Italy show importance of overburden geopressure, fractures and faults for CO2 storage performance and risk management, In: Geological Society of London Special Publications. 458
- Wetenhall, B., Race, J., Aghajani, H., Fernandez, ES., Naylor, M. & Lucquiaud M. (2017) Considerations in the development of flexible CCS networks, Energy Procedia 114, 6800-6812
- Sanchez Fernandez, E., Naylor, M., Lucquiaud, M., Wetenhall, B., Aghajani, H., Race, J., Chalmers, H. (2016) Impacts of geological store uncertainties on the design and operation of flexible CCS offshore pipeline infrastructure, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 52, pp. 139-154.
- [Reviewed Conference Paper] Wetenhall, B., Race, J., Aghajani, H., Sanchez-Fernandez, E., Naylor, M., Lucquiaud, M. & Chalmers, H. (2016)Considerations in the development of flexible CCS networks Energy Procedia
- Eid, R., Ziolkowski, A., Naylor, M., Pickup, G. (2015) Seismic monitoring of CO2 plume growth, evolution and migration in a heterogeneous reservoir: Role, impact and importance of patchy saturationInternational Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 43, pp. 70-81.
- Direito, S.O.L., Clark, S., Cousins, C., Fujita, Y., Gluyas, J., Harley, S., Holmes, R.J., Hutchinson, I.B., Kudryavtsev, V.A., Lloyd, J., Main, I.G., Naylor, M., Payler, S., Smith, N., Spooner, N.J.C., Telfer, S., Thompson, L.F., Wouters, K., Wragg, J., Cockell, C. (2015) Geological repositories: Scientific priorities and potential high-technology transfer from the space and physics sectors, Mineralogical Magazine, 79 (6), pp. 1651-1664.
- Taylor, P., Stahl, H., Vardy, M.E., Bull, J.M., Akhurst, M., Hauton, C., James, R.H., Lichtschlag, A., Long, D., Aleynik, D., Toberman, M., Naylor, M., Connelly, D., Smith, D., Sayer, M.D.J., Widdicombe, S., Wright, I.C., Blackford, J. (2014) A novel sub-seabed CO2 release experiment informing monitoring and impact assessment for geological carbon storage, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 38,
- Burnside, N.M., Naylor, M. (2014) Review and implications of relative permeability of CO2/brine systems and residual trapping of CO2, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 23, pp. 1-11.
- Blackford, J., Stahl, H., Bull, J.M., Bergès, B.J.P., Cevatoglu, M., Lichtschlag, A., Connelly, D., James, R.H., Kita, J., Long, D., Naylor, M., Shitashima, K., Smith, D., Taylor, P., Wright, I., Akhurst, M., Chen, B., Gernon, T.M., Hauton, C., Hayashi, M., Kaieda, H., Leighton, T.G., Sato, T., Sayer, M.D.J., Suzumura, M., Tait, K., Vardy, M.E., White, P.R., Widdicombe, S. (2014) Detection and impacts of leakage from sub-seafloor deep geological carbon dioxide storage, Nature Climate Change, 4 (11), pp. 1011-1016.
- [Reviewed Conference Paper] Eid, R., Ziolkowski, A., Naylor, M., Pickup, G. (2014) The detectability of free-phase migrating CO2: A rock physics and seismic modelling feasibility study, Energy Procedia, 63, pp. 4449-4458.
- [Book chapter] Blackford, J., Hattam, C., Widdicombe, S., Burnside, N., Naylor, M., Kirk, K., Maul, P., Wright, I. (2013) CO2 leakage from geological storage facilities: Environmental, societal and economic impacts, monitoring and research strategies Geological Storage of Carbon Dioxide (co2): Geoscience, Technologies, Environmental Aspects and Legal Frameworks, pp. 149-178.
- [Reviewed Conference Paper] Burnside, N.M., Naylor, M., Kirk, K., Whittaker, F. (2013) QICS Work Package 1: Migration and trapping of CO2 from a reservoir to the seabed or land surface Energy Procedia, 37, pp. 4673-4681.
- Jin, M., Pickup, G., Mackay, E., Todd, A., Sohrabi, M., Monaghan, A., Naylor, M. (2012) Static and dynamic estimates of CO2-storage capacity in two saline formations in the UK SPE Journal, 17 (4), pp. 1108-1118.
- Naylor, M., Wilkinson, M., Haszeldine, R.S. (2011) Calculation of CO2 column heights in depleted gas fields from known pre-production gas column heights, Marine and Petroleum Geology, 28 (5), pp. 1083-1093.
- Eke, P.E., Naylor, M., Haszeldine, S., Curtis, A. (2011) CO2/Brine surface dissolution and injection: CO2 storage enhancement, SPE Projects, Facilities and Construction, 6 (1), pp. 41-53.
- [Reviewed Conference Paper] Eke, P.E., Naylor, M., Haszeldine, S., Curtis, A. (2011) CO2 leakage prevention technologies Society of Petroleum Engineers – Offshore Europe Oil and Gas Conference and Exhibition 2011, OE 2011, 1, pp. 207-220.
- [Reviewed Conference Paper] Pickup, G.E., Jin, M., Olden, P., Mackay, E., Todd, A.C., Ford, J.R., Lawrence, D., Monaghan, A., Naylor, M., Haszeldine, R.S., Smith, M. (2011) Geological storage of CO2: Site appraisal and modeling, Energy Procedia, 4, pp. 4762-4769.
- [Reviewed Conference Paper] Eke, P.E., Naylor, M., Haszeldine, S., Curtis, A. (2009) CO2-brine surface dissolution and injection: CO2 storage enhancement, Society of Petroleum Engineers – Offshore Europe Oil and Gas Conference and Exhibition 2009, OE 2009, 2, pp. 1020-1035.