Stories and news from the MBCHB degree programme

Year 5 Careers Fair: Core medicine

Year 5 Careers Fair: Core medicine

Representing core medicine are Dr Gabrielle Clark and Dr Alice Hogg.

Dr Gabrielle Clark

Dr Gabrielle ClarkI’m, Dr Gabrielle Clark, an IMT1 in South East of Scotland and currently doing Haematology at the Western General. After 6 years at Edinburgh Medical School I went to Forth Valley Royal Hospital (FVRH) for FY1 and FY2. Following this I did a year as a Respiratory Clinical Development Fellow, also at FVRH. This year gave me time to lead a QI project and be in involved in audits.

I was able to develop my teaching and gained my level 1 in the Clinical Educator Programme. I also had opportunities to gain insight into Respiratory as a specialty, with exposure to bronchoscopy, pleural procedures and I attained my level 1 in thoracic ultrasound.  I am now in my first year of IMT and will have a further 2 years to complete before moving onto specialty training.

Dr Alice Hogg

Dr Alice HoggI’m Dr Alice Hogg, an internal medical trainee (IMT1) currently working in Acute Medicine at the Western General Hospital. Within medicine I am particularly keen on medical teaching. Throughout my training I have had the opportunity to be a tutor for a SSC Year 1 programme, teach about quality improvement, organise a teaching programme for first year medical students on history taking and clinical examination, as well as lots of informal bedside teaching/ward teaching.  One aspect of why I have chosen hospital medicine because I enjoy the social and team working environment of hospital medicine. I enjoy procedures and Internal Medical Training (IMT) offers lots of procedural opportunities.  Out with medicine I enjoy cycling and seeing friends (pandemic dependent!).