Stories and news from the MBCHB degree programme

Year 5 Careers Fair: Clinical oncology

Year 5 Careers Fair: Clinical oncology

Representing clinical oncology are Dr Tamasin Evans, Dr Alastair Law, Dr Frances Yuille, Dr Alison Stillie and Dr Stuart Walter.

Dr Tamasin Evans

Dr Tamasin EvansI’m Dr Tamasin Evans, Consultant Clinical Oncologist. Having graduated from Edinburgh in 1994, I did most of my post graduate medical training in London before coming back to Edinburgh via New Zealand. I’ve been a consultant for 15 years and specialised initially in breast cancer and now lung cancer. I’m involved in oncology training as a clinical supervisor, educational supervisor and college tutor and also have an interest in teaching communication skills. Outside work, when not cajoling teenagers, I enjoy remembering how I used to play music, draw and keep fit.

Dr Alastair Law

Dr Alastair LawI am Dr Alastair Law, Consultant Clinical Oncologist. I am a graduate of Edinburgh University and took up a consultant clinical oncology post in 2011 after a year abroad in Melbourne. I have a keen interest in teaching and am a clinical, educational supervisor and also joint college tutor. I am keen to encourage medical students and junior doctors to consider a career in oncology and am happy to be contacted (alastair.law@luht.scot.nhs.uk).

Outside work, my interests include sport including tennis, squash and touch rugby. I also enjoy mountain biking.

Dr Frances Yuille

Dr Frances YuilleI’m Dr Frances Yuille, Consultant Clinical Oncologist. Born in Zimbabwe, I trained at St Bartholomew’s Hospital in London qualifying in 1987. After numerous posts in the South of England I started oncology training at the Edinburgh Cancer Centre in 1992. Following four years of training in Edinburgh in clinical oncology I moved to Newcastle and thereafter the Beatson Oncology Centre in Glasgow. My first Consultant post was at the Beatson Oncology Centre with a specialist interest in breast and lung cancer.

Since 2001 I have been a consultant in Edinburgh specialising in breast and lymphoma management. Between 2017 and 2020 I was the elected Medical Director of Education at the Royal College of Radiologists overseeing the new curriculum as well as many other national issues. Additionally, my interests are communications skills and quality improvement.

Dr Alison Stillie

Dr Alison StillieI’m Dr Alison Stillie, a Consultant Clinical oncologist who specialises in the management of breast and gynaecological malignancies with systemic anti cancer therapy and radiotherapy. I am the Principal Investigator in several trials of immunotherapy.  I have a particular interest in training and education.  I am the module lead for oncology at the University of Edinburgh, sit on the RCR undergraduate oncology committee and network with colleagues across the UK promoting oncology.

Dr Stuart Walter

Dr Stuart WalterI’m Dr Stuart Walter, ST5 registrar. I attended Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry in Devon and Cornwall, staying in Cornwall for Foundation training and an ‘F3’ in Oncology. Following this I spent a year in Perth, Western Australia, working part time in medicine, contributing to research and exploring the local vineyards. I came to Edinburgh for Core Medical Training and secured a Clinical Oncology number here also, I am currently an ST5 registrar.