With my various discussions with learning techs and IT staff across the University, I’m aware that there is some confusion about data retention across our services so I wanted to provide a place that summarised where we currently are. I’ll try to reasonably regularly provide an update to keep everyone up-to-date going forward. We are developing or have developed data retention policies for all of our services to ensure GDPR compliance but also to ensure we aren’t paying for licenses and storage we are not actually using.
Any questions, please ping me on Teams or email me: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Blackboard Learn (Virtual Learning Environment) – we developed course and user data retention policies and also the code needed to do this automatically. This was done pre-Covid but it was decided not to turn it on during the pandemic. We are working on switching the process on soon.
- Collaborate (Virtual Classroom) – we are manually deleting recordings which are more than 18 months old just now, in-line with the Virtual Classroom Policy. We have a project underway which is automating the process
- PebblePad (ePortfolio) – we are manually deleting inactive user accounts from PebblePad (but not ATLAS). We are working on automating this and in the process of developing a data retention policy.
- Media Hopper Replay (Lecture Recording) – we are manually deleting lecture recordings which are more than 18 months old just now, in-line with the Lecture Recording Policy. This policy is under review and we are hoping to increase the length of the time the recordings are held when this review is approved.
- Media Hopper Create (Media Management and Streaming) – we are manually deleting recording source files which are older than 6 months at the moment. We are working on deleting user accounts and automating deletion of recordings (but data retention policy for this not developed or approved yet). Feel free to reach out to discuss with us if you have views.
- Turnitin (Assessment and Similarity Checking) – in the process of investigating possibilities with this service now.