Keeping healthy

One thing I haven’t mentioned in my blog up to now (in the interests of not worrying my mum!) is that there have been 10 confirmed cases of mumps on the Elon campus over the weeks since I arrived. With my background as a nurse (a long time ago, and as many of my peers would say not a real nurse – I was a mental health nurse!), I understand that mumps is one of those diseases you don’t want on campus. It’s a disease that loves those environments where people live together (particularly university residences) and where you work together. I’ve been impressed with the clear and helpful messages we’ve been receiving from Dr Jon Dooley, Vice President of Student Life and Associate Professor of Education, which have kept everyone up to date and importantly, encouraging those who need to, to get their MMR vaccine.

Just before I went to Atlanta, about four weeks ago, I had a really horrible cold. In the middle of the night when I wasn’t sleeping well and I was feverish, I convinced myself I had mumps! Then my mind starting thinking about all the people I had been in contact with since arriving at Elon who I must have passed it to. I had met with President Connie Book that afternoon, and even though I had suggested we didn’t shake hands as I had a cold, at 3.30am, I knew I would go down in history as the Fulbright Scholar who passed mumps to President Book! Note to self – this is the kind of irrational thinking you do when you are ill in the early hours of the morning. The next day, I reminded myself that I had mumps as a child, which makes it very unusual to get mumps again, and I’d had at least two MMR vaccinations since.

Despite all of this, when Jon Dooley sent a new message to everyone encouraging them to get a third MMR injection if you hadn’t had one, I decided I might as well be absolutely sure I don’t get it – and hey it’s a free MMR – amazing how those of us used to the NHS are motivated by free health care! However, I turned up on the day that another 500+ students, faculty and staff turned up in the alumni gym for their injections, so there was a bit of a wait, but I had some time to read an article and I got to speak to some students and colleagues while I was there.

But importantly, not only do I have the card to show I have had my MMR booster injection, but I have a selfie with Jon Dooley to prove it. Oh, and you will be pleased to know that as far as I know, Dr Connie Book is well and mumps-free.

6 Replies to “Keeping healthy”

1. Thanks Cathy

Interesting reading in the light of recent reports that (apparently ungrounded) fears about MMR over the past 20 years have led to the UK losing its ‘measles-free’ status.

1. Yes it’s a classic public health tale. The risks of the MMR injection were largely debunked but the damage had been done and lots of parents wouldn’t consent for their kids to have the MMR injection – so we’ve put ourselves back years in terms of measles incidence – a classic tale of the importance of research ethics!

2. Glad to hear that you – and Dr Connir Book! – are alright! In Sweden, vaccination is given for free to school aged children.

1. Hi Kina, we also have the vaccination in schools, but people are advised to have at least 2 booster injections later in life. All the people at Elon that have got mumps had had 2 x MMRs but not the recommended third vaccine!! I’ve been enjoying your Egyptian pictures on Instagram, it looks like it has been an amazing trip. Say Hej to everyone from me Cx

3. Phew a close one there with President Connie Book. Uh oh I thought if you had suffered mumps as a child (yes I am very old and there was no such thing as an MMR) you didn’t need the injection!!! Perhaps a visit to my doctor is in need. I am loving the Star Spangled Banter as it really makes me feel I am also on your journey.

1. Thanks Rosie, you may not need MMR again if you are in a low infection area, but people are worried that measles is on the rise again in the UK because of lots of parents refusing to get their kids vaccinated after the now debunked research that suggested kids would be at risk of autism from the jab. Some countries require you to have an up to date MMR to get in (including the US, China…). I hope all is well back at base.