Creative projects

Current creative projects (more to come)

Since arriving back in the UK I’ve been doing a craft hour with 2 of my nieces on a Saturday morning, and we’ve made a paper prawn (why would you not) 3d rainbow, pop-up card, felt plant pot, upcycled notebooks, some card and paper shelves and a felt embroidered book mark. We’ve been baking too. It’s great fun just getting together and teaching each other to make things.

I went to an event run by the Center for Learning Design, focused on making and creativity within pedagogy. And of course while at this event, we got to make some things. We were able to choose from a range of creative things to make in the maker space, demonstrating many things students, staff and faculty can use the space for. I decided to push my comfort zone by doing some soldering and making a small light.

Note that the last time I was involved in soldering I can’t remember if it was me or my brother but we soldered a hole in his bedroom rug…we’re going back a few years! So imagine my delight at being able to make a fully working mini-light that goes on and off just by turning it upright or upside down – proud of myself!

We were also asked to have a go at making a felt wallet for business cards or a coaster. I couldn’t resist adding a little embroidery to my business card wallet! I’m not sure it looks very business-like now though!

This is a new shawl I’ve started to knit from some soft light merino wool. In reality the lime green is a bit brighter than this photo suggests. It’s a ‘curls’ shawl pattern that Sara Shinton told me about – yet again I’m blaming Sara for leading me astray to find new patterns and excuses to buy yarn!

This is a knitted necklace I made from some lovely lightweight yarn, and a pattern that Sara Shinton gave me. It’s really lovely to knit and to wear.

I was pleased with this hat that I’ve finished knitting from beautiful wool I bought in Reykjavik airport in December on my way back to the USA. I made up the pattern and hope to make some matching mittens but I may need to wait until I’m back in the UK to get the mitten pattern!

I had a wonderful weekend learning how to make strip quilts with Joan Ruelle, Head of the Elon University Library. In just a couple of hours I made these squares from scraps and strips of leftover fabric. Strip quilts use a paper backing pre-cut to size, that you sew through at the same time as sewing the fabric. Then once you have sewn fabric to cover all the paper, you trim the excess fabric to be left with the original paper square size. Then it just remains to peel off the paper on the back. I plan to make some more squares before I finally will make this into possibly, a travel bag. All from scraps of leftover fabric.

I’ve made some gift tags for the Elon University sustainability office for their eco-Christmas wrapping packs they give out. The packs comprise newspapers from around campus that haven’t been read and then some gift tags to make the parcels look a bit more pretty. I’ve used left over fabric scraps, embroidery thread and card from one of the Maker spaces on campus, and used one of their sewing machines to make the bunting tags. I provided some washi tape for the other tags – so I’m pretty sure Kelly Harer, Assistant Director of Sustainability for Education and Outreach, will be pleased when 180 gift tags turn up on her desk this week – and I had fun making them and talking with students while in the Maker hub

I made a leather bound notebook as part of campus celebrations of National Day on Writing. There were all sorts of events taking place around Elon, and I thoroughly enjoyed making this notebook and then –  a first for me – laser cutting the text on the front.

I’m knitting myself a snood/cowl from some beautiful wool I bought when I was on holiday in Orkney in the summer. It is hand dyed and the dyer was inspired to use colours from the sea and beaches around Hoxa Head on South Ronaldsay.

I’ve been experimenting knitting oak leaves, bearing in mind it’s the symbol for Elon University. Currently, these 2 prototypes are hanging from my car mirror (1970s style), but I’m contemplating making more to make bunting, or getting thicker wool to see if I could make coasters… Depends how much time I have!

I’m knitting a Christmas sweater for one of my nephews – I can’t post a picture in case he’s reading this 🙂