SPS student voices and experiences

We have another new writer!

We have another new writer!

We are delighted to welcome a new undergraduate writer, who along with our existing writers will be sharing their experiences and thoughts on the things that matter to them. Meet the newest member of our team! 

Welcome to the Students at SPS blog!  

Garret

Subject: MA (Hons) International Relations and International Law

Hi everyone! My name is Garret and I am a 2nd year studying International Relations & International Law at the University of Edinburgh. I am originally from London but was drawn to Edinburgh by its natural beauty, the friendliness of its people and the wide range of activities the city has to offer.

I chose to study at Edinburgh mainly because of the fantastic scope of courses here which has given me a direct insight into my dream career – working as a civil servant for the United Nations. International Relations focuses on the impact of global institutions like the UN on inter-governmental cooperation, while International Law establishes the legal framework behind this worldwide partnership. With the elective system at Edinburgh, I have also been able to take Spanish and French courses which have enabled me to obtain a study abroad place at Sciences Po Paris next semester. I am really grateful for this opportunity and will be giving you updates on this experience throughout 2022/23!

Aside from my studies, I love heading out with friends for barbecues in the Meadows, a drink in one of Edinburgh’s many pubs, and Ceilidhs held by several student societies. I am currently a member of the French, Bad Film, Ski and Politics Societies which are a great way to meet new people and learn new skills. I also enjoy exploring the city’s nature, going for a swim at Portobello beach and hiking up Arthur’s Seat.

I am really excited to start blogging this year and share my experiences of my course, student life and my year abroad with you all!