SPS student voices and experiences

Goodbye, Edinburgh! Reflecting on a year of postgraduate study

This week we say goodbye to our student writer Adekiite, after a year studying her Master’s with us at the University of Edinburgh. Make sure you check out Adekiite’s other posts about postgraduate life linked at the bottom of the blog.

“As in the spirit of the famous Scottish song, my auld acquaintance from the University of Edinburgh shall never be forgot for the good memories, for the lessons and for auld lang syne…”

Blog by Adekiite

Photo of Adekiite in front of Arthur's SeatGoodbyes are hard.

As a kid, I remember I cried a lot whenever I had to say goodbye to someone. Embarrassingly enough, I have struggled with goodbyes still as an adult. So, as I watched my colleagues drop cheesy farewells on our WhatsApp group page. I felt a rush of emotion as I realised one year had gone by so quickly.

How could it be that it’s a year already? As the saying goes, time runs by so fast when you are having a good time. Over the past year, I have had the opportunity to meet some amazing people who have now become lifelong friends. Maybe it’s because we had the commonality of having travelled from different continents for higher learning at the University of Edinburgh. Maybe, it’s because of the support we provided for each other in and outside of the classroom. Either way, meeting them and parting now has taught me many lessons.

I have learned that there are many amazing people in the world who have the same values as me. So, it’s worth stepping out to making new friends and disengage from detrimental friendships. I have also learned to value the time I spend with people I care about because very soon the possibility of seeing one another becomes remote. I have learned to prioritise spending quality time with friends over checking Facebook or scrolling through Instagram because very soon those moments become memories.

Goodbyes are still hard to say as I come to the end of my programme and take a bow.  As in the spirit of the famous Scottish song, my auld acquaintance from the University of Edinburgh shall never be forgot for the good memories, for the lessons and for auld lang syne…

Adekiite

More posts from Adekiite about postgraduate life