SCPHRP

A change of heart

Illustration of two men sitting and talking.

By Sudhakar Meghanathan | Care Manager, ElderAid Wellness Pvt Ltd

Sheshadri Uncle and his wife were one of ElderAid’s early customers. Their son had signed them up with ElderAid, much to Sheshadri Uncle’s irritation. He was adamant that he did not want a stranger coming to their home and helping them unnecessarily. Every customer at ElderAid is assigned a dedicated Care Manager who will support them with anything they need, and for Mr and Mrs Sheshadri, I was their Care Manager. Every time I visited the couple, Aunty was always happy to see me, but Uncle was more closed off.  As much as I tried, I was unable to win Uncle over. 

A part of our regular Care Manager visit involves a simple vitals check at home, and we are equipped with a device that helps us check blood sugar, pulse, BP, and more. During one such visit, after some persuasion, Uncle allowed me to check his blood pressure. I was only 24 at the time, and it was early in my career, but I had a feeling that the reading was anomalous. Uncle tried brushing the matter away, but I insisted that something wasn’t right. After a quick word with my supervisor, I immediately rang for an ambulance and took Sheshadri Uncle to the hospital. 

The doctors quickly administered medication and ran a series of tests. I waited in the hospital the entire time, and recorded anything the doctors told Uncle and me, so I could communicate it to Sheshadri Uncle’s son. Later, the doctor informed Sheshadri Uncle that he avoided a stroke by just thirty minutes, and had it not been for my timely action, the situation in that hospital room might have been very different. 

My insistence on checking Sheshadri Uncle’s vitals and, upon seeing an irregular reading, taking him to the hospital may very well have saved Sheshadri Uncle’s life, and I am very grateful that I was able to be there in that situation. From that day, Sheshadri Uncle was the staunchest advocate for ElderAid, trusting us to care for him through everything that came his way.

Portrait of man smiling. Sudhakar Meghanathan | Care Manager at ElderAid Wellness

“It isn’t always easy caring for senior citizens, and there are often several hurdles to overcome when trying to ensure their health, safety, and happiness. They are often reticent and sometimes, they think we will steal away their independence. However, with time, good cheer, and a little patience, we are yet to meet an elder who hasn’t eventually loved us! Above all, empathy, compassion, and kindness are the most crucial traits for an eldercare provider.”

Return to the success stories overview page.