Going into this project I feel I have some strong starting points continuing from themes I had looked at in my painting work.

I am going to begin by continuing looking at female value and the concept of feeling seen/being watched.

I have researched work of Cindy Sherman,  and Racheal Maclean. Their transformative works of photography and performance , changing her own identity with make up/prosthetics and costume.

Cindy Sherman, photogrophy

Rachael Mclean  digital images /Film clip

Carolee Schneemann used her body in performative ways to create work. Her work is a mix of performance, painting, collage and sculpture.I liked the diversity in the works produced by  Schneemann.  She was considered a Pioneering female artist of her time. Schneeman relied heavily on documenting such as filming and photographs, work from archives for her art work as it was mostly done via performative practice.

“I do not show my body I am being my body” was quote from a letter to a friend when asked why she showed her naked body.

( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZKYHeJYD7I )

Sarah Lucas creates sculptures from tights and other ready made objects. The figurative sculptures from tights creates a  fleshy human quality which is instantly recognisable. The play of female form and breasts as identity of a point of interest within the sculptures for me. I enjoy how the limbs can be twisted together and take on their own form.

During the first day of the project we were shown how to build a portrait from clay.

I have worked with clay before so I had an idea of the basic’s which would be required.

I found the tutorial video shown by Kenny was really helpful as a portrait was not something I had tackled with clay before. I was a really good learning experience and I enjoyed the process of having a brief which I could then play with and turn into my own interpretation of portrait.

I did not base my sculpture on any one n particular. I want to focus on how the face expresses emotion and the changes we see to be able to read emotion. I used the clay firstly creating a form and then worked on the expressions.

I was recording my progress using photo graphs and then decided to elevate the idea by creating a stop motion clip with the face and expressions changing.

I began making alterations to my sculpture and at one point felt my nose was beginning to look like a snout. This felt a good avenue to explore as I had been looking at the comparison with people and animals holding a  market value.
I decided to go with the idea and I created a pig/human hybrid.

I had wanted to experiment with textiles in this project and so felt. I felt it would work in this sculpture to add textiles covering where the eyes should be. Covering our ability to see our own value.

I incorporated the stop motion with this sculpture also. Giving it an extra dimension. I wiggled the pigs ears as if it was listening for what I could not see.

Hand prints from clay on hands. Looking at different ways to make marks.

I continued to consider the flesh aspect of a woman’s value. Thinking of meat wrapped up and the images I created in the previous project contorting my own flesh. .Combination of  the clay brief I made a lump of flesh wrapped with tape to show the spilling over of the flesh when tightened.

I moved on looking for a more organic and flesh like appearance. Filling tights with stuffing I created limbs and a body. Layering another pair of tights with holes in, I pulled the stuffed tights through the holes to give an uncomfortable appearance of flesh bursting out , almost breaking a through the outer layer of ‘skin’.

I created studys  of the sculpture in my sketch book.looking at the lumps it produced almost tumour like.

I made studies of my own flesh and when turning the page noticed the transparency in the sketch book and was able to draw over my lines created over the pages, creating the image again but in a more abstract form. I then began using diffecrent colours to made more interest in the abstract images. I enjoyed this abstract way of working. Creating form by layering. Only able topic up n the heavy lines which transferred over. Lines overlapping and creating depth.

I have intentions to project thesis images larger scale and creat larges portraits from the more abstract images.